Discuss Granolithic finish over bitumen sheet membrane? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a job that requires me to cover up a pedestrian walkway in granolithic finish. However, the owner has already gotten his waterproofing contractor to install a bitumen sheet waterproofing membrane. I have read some disadvantages of tiling over bitumen, not sure if the same issues will be found if a granolithic finish is laid over it?

Walkway is external and will be under the hot sun all day, it is also on top of a shopping mall basement with shops below this location.

Not sure if anyone can advise.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Depends on the depth of the concrete under the grano toppng. It would need to be a minimum of 50mm as it would be classed as unbonded. that said most concrete would need to be laid mininum 75mm in this situation to get manufacturers approval. The use of concrete over bitumen is an age old method long since superceded but shoud not be an issue. Ive not come across a grano floor for probably 15 years.

Reaction score
Hmm seems like it would be dangerous in my case, screed thickness would likely be 25mm with another 20-25mm of granolithic finish on top.

There are also vertical upturns up to 300mm in height. These will not have any concrete sitting on them. I suspect the granolithic finish here will fall off if any cracks occur at the bends as they will be applied directly to the bitumen sheet. Perhaps I could layer it first with a slurry of Ardex NA. Not sure if that would work.

Reply to Granolithic finish over bitumen sheet membrane? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks