Discuss Got to tile over OSB3, help! in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi, got to tile the floor of a small ( 12 ms ) new kitchen extension. The builders put down 18mm OSB3, glued and screwed, it ain’t coming up!
Obviously would have liked plywood. What do you recommend as my best option, overboard with hardibacker, 6mm ply, or use a decoupler like Ditra?
Any advice appreciated
Cheers
Nick

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Many many many years ago I tiled a mates floor on OSB3 being none the wiser. He was short of tiles so it didn't get grouted for ages and when I went back there was lippage everywhere as the board had warped like crazy. That's why they invented caberdeck chipboard for flooring. Builder should take it up. It will come up but won't be easy. It'll remind him in future to do more research. It's not fair on the customer either.

Reaction score
:)Anything put over the top can still have problems in the future, as mentioned above taking up is gonna be full proof, then lay something that cannot swell in the future, option of taking up 5 boards or chance taking everything up in the future, lots of situations come to risk factor!!!

Reaction score
:)
Many many many years ago I tiled a mates floor on OSB3 being none the wiser. He was short of tiles so it didn't get grouted for ages and when I went back there was lippage everywhere as the board had warped like crazy. That's why they invented caberdeck chipboard for flooring. Builder should take it up. It will come up but won't be easy. It'll remind him in future to do more research. It's not fair on the customer either.
Thanks for that Faceman, I’ll have a word with the builder and see if anything can be done

Reply to Got to tile over OSB3, help! in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks