Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Glue! on edges of glass tiles... oh no! in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United States of America
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
HI,
Excuse the length and new thread, but it reads super fast. I could use some advice. There are a few hundred tiles to fix... not all of them...
This project has been delayed for years and much has been put into it.. and now this.

Why give in now. I plan on fixing the tiles I have not grouted yet... even it takes weeks.

I do not think I pushed the tile in too hard. I just did it with the float. Then a two by four with a rubber mallot... tapping lightly on it.

I have only grouted one of three walls. The grout came out great... except for some
of the tile. I attribute this to the glue from the mesh bleeding onto the sides of the glass tile:

Grouted tile with issues

Name:  glue and thinset bubbles.jpg Views: 0 Size:  72.5 KB

Grouted tile as it should be.

Name:  good tile .jpg Views: 0 Size:  66.8 KB

Here is a close up of some left over tile to illustrate the glue on the sides: (the main pic is the tile folded exposing the edges of the tile.)

Name:  Glue best.jpg Views: 0 Size:  115.6 KB

Here are most of the tools I am using. Some I have modified to have a bur at the end to catch the back edge, but really the trick is pushing back the glue (It is sticky like thick snot) The hook and picks are new, trying today.

Name:  tools.jpg Views: 0 Size:  60.6 KB

I am practicing on the tile behind the stove, but am not doing so great and it takes a long time. Indeed the grout saw is helping speed it up, but really it is the glue and cutting behind the tile does not help. I have started using a hair dryer to soften the glue a little... it helps a little, but I only have two hands.
Also, I have marked the saw and snap blades so I do not go too far behind the tile.... Very tedious.
So far.... still not working all that great, but it is better!

Name:  best fix so far.jpg Views: 0 Size:  80.0 KB

From a distance the wall I finished looks good, except for the squiggles.
I am not as happy with it as I thought I would be, but some lighting and appliances.... it should be really nice.
The outlet covers and switches were very very cheap. Gloss is NOT the way to go...
I want satin black, but who knew it would be so much more expensive (Lutron)
Perhaps a different type would be better??? Or print vinyl and skin my own covers.

Name:  wallsm-sm.jpg Views: 0 Size:  61.8 KB

Also tried a mini engraver on unused tile... very vary bad idea.
It is important to be gentle esp. around the stone.

So I put the grout away, am going to reassemble everything, put in temp plates... and will spend the next few weeks trying to fix this...
Unless there is a better way???

There is NOTHING I can find on the net about this... I have been searching a lot. Any advice would be appreciated... well... good advice.

Lastly: The other two walls for anyone who has seem my other posts and might be curious.

20210519_033748.jpg

OP
Wraiththe
Reaction score
Here is a small section of the second wall...
Using a oscillating multitool, I tried to get rid of the glue on the installed tiles

... the results were less than optimal.
But I think maybe better than the first wall?
[IMG alt="Name: second wall.jpg
Views: 2
Size: 82.1 KB"]https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=220238&d=1621800307[/IMG]

Close up of the plastic and rubbery glue on the side of a tile:

Furthermore: After sealing the stones twice, I expected more of the grout to release.
I hope that now the grout is hardened I can scrub the tiles a little harder to get some of the grout off the faces in the tricky spots.

I tried my best wiping and wiping and wiping and wiping during grouting... but nothing I did during grouting would remove the grout completely... not even a toothbrush or stiff brush with non acid cleaner.

One more wall to go, most used so I would like it to be better. I have used x-acto knives and x-acto push blades... snap blades, grout cutters and the oscillating multitool (very carefully)

[IMG alt="Name: oscillating multitool.jpg
Views: 3
Size: 63.7 KB"]https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=220239&d=1621800307[/IMG]
I am my own worst enemy and biggest critic

I miss when we used to get much more responses and advice from this forum. Not much help at all. Am I that boring, clueless, what?
Is there a better place to go for help... or do I need to hop on a paid site or something?

J

John gleeson

Here is a small section of the second wall...
Using a oscillating multitool, I tried to get rid of the glue on the installed tiles

... the results were less than optimal.
But I think maybe better than the first wall?
[IMG alt="Name: second wall.jpg
Views: 2
Size: 82.1 KB"]https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=220238&d=1621800307[/IMG]

Close up of the plastic and rubbery glue on the side of a tile:

Furthermore: After sealing the stones twice, I expected more of the grout to release.
I hope that now the grout is hardened I can scrub the tiles a little harder to get some of the grout off the faces in the tricky spots.

I tried my best wiping and wiping and wiping and wiping during grouting... but nothing I did during grouting would remove the grout completely... not even a toothbrush or stiff brush with non acid cleaner.

One more wall to go, most used so I would like it to be better. I have used x-acto knives and x-acto push blades... snap blades, grout cutters and the oscillating multitool (very carefully)

[IMG alt="Name: oscillating multitool.jpg
Views: 3
Size: 63.7 KB"]https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=220239&d=1621800307[/IMG]
I am my own worst enemy and biggest critic

I miss when we used to get much more responses and advice from this forum. Not much help at all. Am I that boring, clueless, what?
Is there a better place to go for help... or do I need to hop on a paid site or something?

Reaction score
The quality of mosaic tiles varies vastly with price and manufacturers. Where did you buy them and for how much per sqm?

(High quality glass mosaics can cost upwards of ÂŁ100 per 300mm x 300mm sheet)

E

eric123

used a osculating saw too, and cracked a few tiles before finding the best way is a box knife and flat-head screw driver. Wish I had a hot knife or screw driver heated-up

Reply to Glue! on edges of glass tiles... oh no! in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock