Discuss Glass mosiac shower installation in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I am currently tiling a shower area.

Field tiles are installed with space for a vertical 300mm vertical feature/ border and a 100mm horizontal border.

Both horizontal and vertical borders will be fitted with glass mosiac tiles of different designs but both of a depth of 7mm.

I have used the dog tooth method to level the border recesses; 7mm tile depth +3mm adhesive.

I have researched on here, the Web and YouTube and are still a little confused with a number of questions:

1. The tiles are glass with a non transparent opaque backing, though the sides are transparent. Grout colour will be grey. Do I need to use a grey coloured adhesive in case some show through the sides of the mosiacs?

2. Should I use a specific adhesive? Shower area is fully tanked. I have been using Ardex X7W for the field tiles. I've read that Ardex X77 is better for glass mosiacs because of the non slip properties. Any suggestions / advice or am I still good with the same adhesive as the field tiles?

3. Is normal grout OK? I've read some grouts can be coarse and scratch the glass.

4. Should I use a 6mm by 6mm notched trowel, which should give a compressed 3mm bed (dog tooth recess is 7mm tile depth plus 3mm adhesive. My plan was to use the 5mm by 5mm trowel that I have but I'm now thinking it will leave the mosiacs slightly recessed.

5. There's conflicting information on whether or not you should flatten the ridges of adhesive before applying the mosiacs. I understand the for clear glass tiles it makes sense to do it because the ridges will show through if not 100 % coverage but is still a good method for opaque backed mosiacs?

I know that's a lot of questions and I appreciate there are various methods and people prefer there own techniques but would appreciate your advice.

Many thanks in advance,

Daz

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Placing mosaics in a thick bed of adhesive will often result in a flat wavy surface. A thin bed is likely to give a better finish, but this will then be below the surface line of the tiles. Use Mosaic wall spacers toavoid this.

Reaction score
Placing mosaics in a thick bed of adhesive will often result in a flat wavy surface. A thin bed is likely to give a better finish, but this will then be below the surface line of the tiles. Use Mosaic wall spacers toavoid this.

Well that's a great advert for one of the products you sell, and potentially useful for someone who needs additional depth for their mosiacs, but as you can read in my first post, I'm not looking to do that. I have used the dog tooth method and already achieved that.

Anyone any real life experience/ guidance based on the method I have used please against the questions in my first post?

Many thanks!

Daz

Reply to Glass mosiac shower installation in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks