Discuss Glass Mosaic adhesive choice and surface preperation in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi guys

Find myself a little stuck and in need of some technical advice. I'm about two thirds through tiling a small bathroom with large format ceramic tiles however I have a vertical feature panel of glass mosaic to install and I'm not certain how to proceed.

• Mosaic are blue glass, transparent, 7mm thick set on 30cm square mesh backing.
  • I've allowed 60.2cm wide space above the bath for these to be set into 2 sheets per row and about 2.2m tall.
  • Ceramic tiles are about 8/9mm thick, finished surface is about 12-13mm including adhesive.
  • Walls are flat having been dot, dabbed, screw fixed with Orbry boards.
  • There is a over bath shower so the mosaics will be subjected to overspray.

Despite reading through other posts I still have a few questions which I hope you wise folks could help with...I'd really rather not screw it up.

• Adhesive recommendation? Ideally available in small quantities retail bearing in mind I only have approximately 1.5m2 to cover.
  • Trowel choice and bed thickness? I've read elsewhere 4mm square vs 3mm V knotched trowel depending upon the tile, these are about 7mm thick.
  • Should I use mosaic mesh sheets to aid installation? I was wondering if these reduce adhesive contact with the back of the tiles.
  • If I do use mosaic mesh what effect will this have on trowel size/bed thickness?
  • Lastly is there any recommendations regarding building out the surface to bring the mosaic flush with the adjacent ceramic tile? If necessary I was leaning towards screeding the surface to a specific depth with tile adhesive subject to above recommendations on bed thickness and mesh usage.

So I'm a little unsure how best to move forward really and would be grateful for any help.

Reply to Glass Mosaic adhesive choice and surface preperation in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoponbaby
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks