Discuss General DIY Tiling advice in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello, i hope someone can give me some advice please.

I’m planning on tiling our bathroom walls when we renovate it soon. The walls are all block and will be skimmed by the plasterer once we’ve knocked all the old tiles off. The tiles we’ll be using are 300x100mm ceramic, and will be around a standard shower over the bath layout.

What I’m not sure about is:

- Would the right way to go about it be to first of all prime the skim coat beforehand using Bal Prime ADP (or similar)?

- Do I need to tank/waterproof around the bath using a tanking system before tiling? Or would that be overkill?

- Would ready-mixed or powdered adhesive be best? I know we’ll have some boxing that will need to be tiled too (not sure on material yet) could I use the same adhesive on both the plaster and boxing?

- BAL white star plus recommends grouting after 3 days if using on a primed surface, is that fairly standard? As it seems like a long time?

Thanks all!

Reaction score
I would definitely prime everything and also tank the shower area, mapei aquadefense is good and is ready mixed.

I’d also opt for powder, Bal flex one is a medium setting gear so can grout the following day with no issues. If you must use tubbed gear, Ardex D20 is good for wet areas and has better grab than white star.

3 days seems an excessive drying time as ceramics will pull the moisture out in no time. Do yourself a favour and avoid ready mix altogether.

Reaction score
I would definitely prime everything and also tank the shower area, mapei aquadefense is good and is ready mixed.

I’d also opt for powder, Bal flex one is a medium setting gear so can grout the following day with no issues. If you must use tubbed gear, Ardex D20 is good for wet areas and has better grab than white star.

3 days seems an excessive drying time as ceramics will pull the moisture out in no time. Do yourself a favour and avoid ready mix altogether.
Great, thanks for the heads up. Will definitely avoid ready mix.

Reply to General DIY Tiling advice in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks