Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Garage Tiling: what prep/adhesive? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

DIYDan

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I've read multiple threads over the last few weeks and get different or even contradicting advice in each.

I've got a 5x5m integral garage with a 3 year old well finished concrete base. It's not polished smooth, but it's fairly level. I put down SBR to contain the dust 2 years ago.

I want to tile it myself as I'll need to do it bit by bit and I'd just annoy a pro. I've read different stories about prep required, decoupling membranes, adhesives you should use/shouldn't use, but I'm no clearer.

Looking at the floor, I feel like I should be able to go straight to tile with a good quality https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. Am I wrong?

I intend to use vitra dotti 8mm tiles. Any general advice on completing the job nicely would be great. It's not the first time I've tiled, but it is the biggest and could get expensive if I mess it up!
[automerge]1593331919[/automerge]
The floor in question

Attachments

• IMG_20200627_131743.jpg
    IMG_20200627_131743.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
I'm not experienced so I find it easier to get a full bed with a U notch trowel.

OP
D

DIYDan

-
Reaction score
Thanks! I assume 10mm trowel also means ~10mm bed of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/? Just want to make sure I order enough.

Reaction score
For a square notch trowel the bed is usually half, so a 10mm would give 5mm bed,

Reply to Garage Tiling: what prep/adhesive? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris14498
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock