Discuss from high to low rooms in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

lcowner

another newbie question,if i ply wood a bathroom floor to tile on and have a lip of 10-15mm at door for example into a landing/bedroom with laminate floor/carpet after tiling, what way do i make this look good and professional?whats the easiest and cheapest solution for me and customer??

B

Bradma9

Easiest is to buy a hardi backer board or no more ply instead of ply, not sure the exact thickness but a 6mm thick backer board is equivalent to like 12mm ply (roughly)

S

Stef

Bs minimum overlay for ply is 15mm.
I would use 6mm Hardie Backer boards glued & screwed to your bathroom floor, provided your floor is deflection (bounce) free.
Then you shouldn't really have a height issue.
You can buy threshold bars for taking out differences between floor heights.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Bs minimum overlay for ply is 15mm.
I would use 6mm Hardie Backer boards glued & screwed to your bathroom floor, provided your floor is deflection (bounce) free.
Then you shouldn't really have a height issue.
You can buy threshold bars for taking out differences between floor heights.

Isn't the minimum 15mm to help with deflection?

M

Mr Tiler

Easiest is to buy a hardi backer board or no more ply instead of ply, not sure the exact thickness but a 6mm thick backer board is equivalent to like 12mm ply (roughly)
how can that be true when hardi adds no strength to a floor what so ever mate?

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Yes it's to help but if you have a fair bounce in that floor then it's still going to be there even if you overboard with 15mm ply.

My point was that you can't just replace 15mm ply for 6mm backer boards, as they don't do anything about deflection. Or do they?

M

Mr Tiler

My point was that you can't just replace 15mm ply for 6mm backer boards, as they don't do anything about deflection. Or do they?

all ive ever been told on here is that it doesn't help in deflection in any way and ive only used the stuff once and I would also say the same thing as it is nothing like ply its simply a good tiling surface

S

Stef

You are right, they offer nothing to strengthen the floor.
You must sort any deflection out 1st before using Hardie.

Reply to from high to low rooms in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks