Discuss Foam boad vs cement board in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

Is this the multi pro board you mean @3_fall

View attachment 108287

Doesn’t look like it tbh, that looks like an XPS board, multipro board resembles a cement board.

E2DE4694-86D1-4247-8153-58D27AE37FC7.png

That’s not to say I’m right tho. :D
But what I’ve used, doesn’t look like that.
Lee will know for sure.

L

LM

For me XPS boards are an online order and that’s not always ideal. I can get Kerdi boards within two days or a long drive on the same day.
BAL aren’t exactly pioneers with a few of their products for example the ‘new’ Flexbone variants have been out for years under a different original brand and the same with BAL board. BAL will only put their name to certain products after they’ve been on the market for years under a different guise with thousands of installations and feedback that then qualify the product for them. BAL board is a product I’ve been using under a different name for a long time, it’s excellent material, it does what it says on the tin but like anything BAL you pay for their stamp so I use multipro instead.
It’s my goto overlay for small bathroom floors, larger floors I use rolls of membrane. It’s fire resistant but if there’s eufh involved your better with an xps board etc for the insulation.
On walls I’d go for 12.5mm every time. It needs tanked which is no big deal and if you have to make a repair it’s still there when you’ve dug off the tile.
This market has a huge choice of very good materials and tbh imo they’re all job specific as to which product meets the needs and which are over kill and in some cases only a specific product can meet a specific demand, such are the advantages of Multipro Xs or Wedi etc.
Tech support won’t always support our innovations and adaptions because they haven’t tested our solutions that we’ve had to come up with as we’ve had to think on our feet to overcome immediate problems that could bring a whole site to standstill and in some ways that defines us as pioneers at times.
That’s the beauty of this place, it’s the place you can come and ask and I’d be surprised if you don’t get the answer you need.
Is this the multi pro board you mean @3_fall

View attachment 108287

Multipro is identical to BAL board in every way except the dimensions and name stamped on it, it comes from under the same roof.

Reaction score
@LEE MAC just compard both boards and both say the same thing magnesium.boards,100kgpsm holds etc. Defietley got a tiling theory lesson today :thumbsup:
Have you ever used the bal rapid mat they do and is it realy 1mm thick:eek:

O

Old Mod

Yeah it is 1mm, there are quite a few on the market, some are far better than others.
They’re more commonly know as
‘Antifracture mats’ rather than decouplers.
I’d concentrate on the board subject first, let it sink in.
Matting is typically used less often, and has a more specific roll.
It’s not an out and out fix for floors with deflection or lateral movement.
IT IS FAR BETTER to concentrate on substrate prep.
The more prep you do, the easier the tiling is, the more confidence you’ll have when you walk away, also that you’ve completed a project that has longevity, and won’t fail by the time you get to the garden gate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Foam boad vs cement board in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks