Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Foam boad vs cement board in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
What do you pros on here use most then?
Ragrdless of customers budget and you choose msterials

Xps foam.boards like jackoboard,marmox weidi etc
Or
Cement boards lile hardie, no.more ply etc with tanking where applicable
Or
Plasterboard just to throw it in there.tanking where needs be.

Dont know how you would put this thing to a vote maybe admin coould help out with that one :).

D

Dumbo

Horses for courses .
Hardie 6mm timber overlay without ufh
With ufh 10 mm Jacko etc .
Walls jackoboard , easy cut,carry, and handle and if it needs waterproofing only need to do joints and fixings there for not affecting weight carrying capacity .
Hardie tanked has it's weight carry capacity reduced , this needs to be tanked all over as it is water tolerant not waterproof

jobdone

TF
Reaction score
Most installs I use plaster board and tank the wet areas. I find it's easier to dry line with the larger boards.
As I do full installs floors are 25mm ply with detria. Or 18mm ply and 6mm Jacko board

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
9 out of 10 wall jobs are plasterboard, floors i vary from form boards or cement.
My go too cenent boards are hardie, I don’t like NMP, too smooth for my liking

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
What do you pros on here use most then?
Ragrdless of customers budget and you choose msterials

Xps foam.boards like jackoboard,marmox weidi etc
Or
Cement boards lile hardie, no.more ply etc with tanking where applicable
Or
Plasterboard just to throw it in there.tanking where needs be.

Dont know how you would put this thing to a vote maybe admin coould help out with that one :).
You can create a poll as you create a new thread if you wish but I think you get the gist from the response already maybe.

I'd be happy to see a poll created though.

I haven't seen a real one on this forum software yet.

O

On one

Not having seen the Bal Board yet, what advantage would this type of board have over cement boards, plasterboards or polystyrene boards?

F

Flintstone

I've used BAL board, it is similar to a cement board but it's made of magnesium, it's very light and can cut with a Stanley and can cut curves etc.its got a lot of fibres in. Not sure on its price but I would happily use it.

F

Flintstone

It's smaller than Hardie, 600x1200, deffinately more user friendly, can't fault it really.

OP
M
Reaction score
@Plan Tec Tiling any particular reason for xps on floor? im.sure i had read in the marmox step by step guide it said the multiboards also act lile a decoupling membrane. Not sure on this and anyone who has used them could enlighten me.
@Localtiler do you still have to tank them bal boards like cememnt boards then?

Q

Qwerty

It is lighter, easier & quicker to cut, has thermal retention qualities, is waterproof and IMO is a more versatile product as I can use the same product on walls & floors. And yes, it does have a certain amount of decoupling capability. :thumbsup:

O

Old Mod

As I understand it, Bal board is similar to multi-pro board which has two layers of mesh in it.
It’s big brother is the multi-pro board XS which has 4 layers and is a construction fire board.
The XS is amazing stuff, I’ve just built two pocket door walls out of it supported on only 3 sides and fitted 2.4 x 1.2’s to it, very solid and stable.
The man to ask tho is @LEE MAC, he has a lot of experience with the multi-pro board.

Any material placed between the substrate and finished floor is technically a decoupler by definition.
But they all work with varying degrees, some are specifically designed for this and allow a lot more lateral movement than others.
The whole subject of using decouplers is quite complicated, there are lots of products and all suited better to some techniques than others.

OP
M
Reaction score
Is this the multi pro board you mean @3_fall

Screenshot_20190721-222348_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reply to Foam boad vs cement board in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock