Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Flush grout in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I’m considering these Dime Ice round marble tiles for my kitchen splashback, with a light colour grout.

I’d like a super-flush grout finish, both for the aesthetic, and also for cleanability. One or two of the photos in the above link seem to the grout perfectly level with the tile, almost like it’s been ground and polished back. Like this one: http://www.scceramics.com/QR/images/01/A082-63/A082-63_0001-5.jpg

My question is whether it’s feasible as a DIYer to achieve an ultra smooth finish, and if so, what’s the best way to achieve that? Is it by overfilling the grout and then sanding and polishing? (It’s a solid marble tile.) Or is it possible by just using superfine grout with a dry-ish sponge? Or is there some other technique?

Thanks for any advice!

Reaction score
That is some seriously good grouting skills. I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to how they got the grout so super flush with the top of the tile.

If a DIY'er could achieve that type of finish they need to go into tile :)

It almost as if they CGI images..

bsc ceramics

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I agree almost like a print... you my need to grout and then go over again once
its dry and flush it up but i would'nt hold my breath and the walls would have
to be flatter than flat as the slightest hump or bump would stick out like a sore thumb.
are they on a mesh?

OP
R
Reaction score
I agree almost like a print... you my need to grout and then go over again once
its dry and flush it up but i would'nt hold my breath and the walls would have
to be flatter than flat as the slightest hump or bump would stick out like a sore thumb.
are they on a mesh?
Yes, on a ~300x300 mesh.
If you go over it again, how long do you wait?

Is it possible to ‘overfill’ and polish back once dry? Or would that likely ruin the tile?

Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest overfilling it, the grouts ive used go rock hard and it would be a nightmare to polish them back, and yes, you are likely to damage or at least mark the tiles if you had to polish them back.

I would contact the tile supplier and ask them how they got it so extremely neat.

Reply to Flush grout in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock