Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Floor tiling - dot and dab over electric under floor heating in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Bathroom fitter says this is the correct way to lay tiles and nothing in the rule book says he can’t dot and dabb

909F1871-5821-4EFE-BAF6-B786CB65C1A7.png

C733F319-89DC-40CB-82C9-67E579807AD0.png

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
Bathroom fitter says this is the correct way to lay tiles and nothing in the rule book says he can’t dot and dabb

View attachment 124322

View attachment 124323
There is alot going on there that is very clearly not right !! There is no rule book really as you using different products in conjunction with each other !! And there are many different methods !! None of which by the looks of things have been used on your job ! I'd ask your tiler to show you his rulebook and where it says to do what he has ?

OP
D
Reaction score
There is alot going on there that is very clearly not right !! There is no rule book really as you using different products in conjunction with each other !! And there are many different methods !! None of which by the looks of things have been used on your job ! I'd ask your tiler to show you his rulebook and where it says to do what he has ?

thanks for the reply , could you please explain what’s wrong about it ?
Since the bathroom was fitted 2 years ago there’s been constant problems , tiles popping , grout cracking , water leaking through ceiling below,
It was re-grouted about a year ago and few months later the same problems started again ,
Tiler swore blind he hadn’t dot and dabbed the tiles so I lifted one that had popped and find this

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
Since the bathroom was fitted 2 years ago there’s been constant problems , tiles popping , grout cracking , water leaking through ceiling below,
It was re-grouted about a year ago and few months later the same problems started again ,
Tiler swore blind he hadn’t dot and dabbed the tiles so I lifted one that had popped and

Tiler swore blind he hadn’t dot and dabbed the tiles so I lifted one that had popped and find this
I would stick underfloor heating down , coat over with a self levelling compound and then lay a decoupling matting ( a flexible matting system like ditra mat or durabase) then as floor would be flat and level ,a deep notched trowel https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ flexible bed to stick tiles compliying with timber and underfloor heating needs !! Plus I can't really see what is underneath !but I think it is wood !which should be very least 22mm thick marine ply

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It's entirely possible that the underfloor heating will fail, even catch fire in that condition. There are several things in the "rule book" which confirm this is NOT an acceptable way to tile

OP
D
Reaction score
It's entirely possible that the underfloor heating will fail, even catch fire in that condition. There are several things in the "rule book" which confirm this is NOT an acceptable way to tile
Yeah that was my concern about fire , as soon as water stains started appearing below I’ve isolated the underfloor heating,

after over a year of trying to get the tiler back to fix his work With him refusing to admit it’d been dot and dabbed , and then him ignoring calls and emails ,
I ripped the tile up to take pictures and threatened to take it further , now he’s offering to take up the loose tiles to re lay ,
I’m not a tiler but can spot a cowboy job when I see one , I was away working while it was fitted and would have kicked them off the job if I’d known .
Wouldn’t trust these guys to do **** all now ,
Do you think there’s enough to back up a claim?

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Yeah that was my concern about fire , as soon as water stains started appearing below I’ve isolated the underfloor heating,

after over a year of trying to get the tiler back to fix his work With him refusing to admit it’d been dot and dabbed , and then him ignoring calls and emails ,
I ripped the tile up to take pictures and threatened to take it further , now he’s offering to take up the loose tiles to re lay ,
I’m not a tiler but can spot a cowboy job when I see one , I was away working while it was fitted and would have kicked them off the job if I’d known .
Wouldn’t trust these guys to do **** all now ,
Do you think there’s enough to back up a claim?
Yes there is plenty for a claim. He has not done the job correctly and any expert will agree. That he is offering to replace the loose tiles is a start but I reckon the whole lot needs to come up and be replaced

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
When you say theres "no rule book" what about bs5385, bs1264, UK building regulations, the tile association guide to tile, the underfloor heating manufacturers guide, the tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ manufacturers guide.

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
When you say theres "no rule book" what about bs5385, bs1264, UK building regulations, the tile association guide to tile, the underfloor heating manufacturers guide, the tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ manufacturers guide.
So clearly you saying there is no rule book ?? Instead there are many rulebooks ?? Please can you tell me the exact method you would use to carry out this job then ? And also imagine if I'd said what had been done was OK! Which I didn't!! So go ahead what's the only primer we should all use ?? What is the only underfloorheating system we should use ?? What ply or other strengthening product should be added to the floorboards ?? What decoupling membrane is the best ? What self levelling compound is the best ? What https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ is the best and what grout is the best ?? Post your superior knowledge here please !!

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
So clearly you saying there is no rule book ?? Instead there are many rulebooks ?? Please can you tell me the exact method you would use to carry out this job then ? And also imagine if I'd said what had been done was OK! Which I didn't!! So go ahead what's the only primer we should all use ?? What is the only underfloorheating system we should use ?? What ply or other strengthening product should be added to the floorboards ?? What decoupling membrane is the best ? What self levelling compound is the best ? What https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ is the best and what grout is the best ?? Post your superior knowledge here please !!
Firstly I wouldn't be carrying out this job. Im notva tile contractor. Second I dont think i said or even implied that you thought it was acceptable. Thirdly there are lots of primers. The one you should use is one that is suitable for the application. As for my superior knowledge... I was simply pointing out that there is a rule book. Its called the code of best practice... for tile floors that is bs5328. Its supported by all sorts of othe documents put together by industry experts and manufacturers. Now please try to be a little less sensitive and a little less confrontational. I'm not here to have arguments...

demi34

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It’s not right, should be self levelling first and https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ in floor first and back butter the tiles

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
Firstly I wouldn't be carrying out this job. Im notva tile contractor. Second I dont think i said or even implied that you thought it was acceptable. Thirdly there are lots of primers. The one you should use is one that is suitable for the application. As for my superior knowledge... I was simply pointing out that there is a rule book. Its called the code of best practice... for tile floors that is bs5328. Its supported by all sorts of othe documents put together by industry experts and manufacturers. Now please try to be a little less sensitive and a little less confrontational. I'm not here to have arguments...
Ok in answer to that ! I didn't employ someone that didn't work by the rule book you qoute !you did ! And the code of best practice is not what I guarantee many tilers work too ! ! Oh I tiled the person who wrote that's house and his sons!! But if you read what I wrote I think you might see I was agreeing with you !it was poor work !

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Ok in answer to that ! I didn't employ someone that didn't work by the rule book you qoute !you did ! And the code of best practice is not what I guarantee many tilers work too ! ! Oh I tiled the person who wrote that's house and his sons!! But if you read what I wrote I think you might see I was agreeing with you !it was poor work !
So many exclamation marks... Im outa here...

Reply to Floor tiling - dot and dab over electric under floor heating in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock