Discuss Floor tiles around fireplace surround in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Tony80

Hi all, looking for some advice. I have recently removed my old fireplace hearth and taken up my wood laminate floor. I plan to carpet the room but i want to lay some floor tiles as opposed to a hearth around the fireplace. I would like the tiles to finish flush against the carpet, so the carpet and tiles end up being level. My current plan is to put some 12mm plywood in and tile over with 6.5mm thick tiles. I dont have carpet yet but im thinking thickness of carpet and underlay will end up somewhere between 18-20mm. Do my calculations on the ply + tiles seem reasonable once adhesive is also added in? My other concern is what to use as edging around the tiles. I am thinking some 20mm thick hardwood strips would be perfect but i cant seem to find any....Any advice is really appreciated :)
20160913_221145.jpg
20160913_221145.jpg

T

Tony80

Tile it and the carpet fitter will cut into it wont be able tell
Thanks for your advice. Do you think the 12mm ply plus 6.5mm tile thickness plus adhesive will bring it to around 20mm in total? Sorry i am a novice so not sure what adhesive thickness sets at

T

Tony80

I would level it to the desired height then tile it. No ply wood
Thanks for your response. Sorry im not entirely sure what you mean. How could i bring the tile level up without ply? Are you suggesting building a concrete base?

F

Flintstone

image.jpeg I had to do the same thing at home recently, got 3 prices of wood to make a basic frame then poured self levelling compound in to the require thickness. Take away the wooden frame and hay presto

I

Ian

As per localtiler, don't use plywood. Either shutter it off and pour some levelling compound to the desired height or use a 12mm hardiebacker (or similar), before tiling. Both are much better surfaces to tile to, especially if there is going to be any heat in there.

S

Stef

Hardie backer 500 is 12mm thick & is perfect for this situation.
Your carpet has to be 750mm roughly from the fire & the Hardie is 1200x800.
If it's not level with the Hardie then shutter it with wood & poor slc into it & then remove shutter once dry.
I done this one with thermal board & slc.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

F

Flintstone

I did the same with no more ply, but only because i was making it larger than the origional concrete area

T

Tony80

I did the same with no more ply, but only because i was making it larger than the origional concrete area
That looks a nice job! The reason i was going with ply vs a concrete base was also due to the fact that i was making it wider than the original base. For me i still want the tile level to finish flush with the carpet so i just need to work out what size base i need for the 20x20cm 6.5mm thick tiles to sit on to line up with the carpet (prob 18-20mm total thickness) And looks like i dont necessarily need a word trim edge now :)

F

Flintstone

I would suggest getting a tile backer board such as hardie or a cement coated insulation board to the required thickness and stick it down.

Reply to Floor tiles around fireplace surround in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks