Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Floor tile burnt and chipped in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello folks had a gas guy come in he decided to use a blow torch on the floor tiles after he left the tile top layer flaked off just wondering if anyone knows a way to fix this please?
Dont want to replace the whole floor and dont know if i can get another single tile as its not a new floor
20210322_205629.jpg

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I presume you are claiming from the gas mans insurance...

OP
N
Reaction score
I presume you are claiming from the gas mans insurance...
Nope, it was just an accident, I hate the tiles just done a whole new kitchen and the only thing left from the old was the floor tiles which my Mrs likes for some reason. I dont want to have to retire the whole thing so was hoping there was some miracle fix lol

OP
N
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pic , is it slate tiles. ?
I'm sorry I'm not too sure what type of tile they are, is there anyway to be able to tell, they was already here when we bought the house the pattern on them goes through to that part its just a little duller than the rest, I've still kept the bits that fell off :( the tiles seem to be really strong cos they have withstood quite a bit since we've had the house just couldn't stand a blowtorch :(

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I'm sorry I'm not too sure what type of tile they are, is there anyway to be able to tell, they was already here when we bought the house the pattern on them goes through to that part its just a little duller than the rest, I've still kept the bits that fell off :( the tiles seem to be really strong cos they have withstood quite a bit since we've had the house just couldn't stand a blowtorch :(
It just looks like the heat caused the slate to flake. Have you any exposed edges of tile ?

OP
N
Reaction score
There's no exposed edges that I can find I'm afraid dont know if this picture helps?

Attachments

• 20210324_101847.jpg
    20210324_101847.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Just get under the high point with a flat screwdriver and chip a bit more away! It's slate, it'll blend with the surrounding tiles no bother at all! It's a natural stone, the blowtorch definitely didn't cause that! It's just been a loose bit of slate, just chip it away and it'll be good as new! 👌

OP
N
Reaction score
Just get under the high point with a flat screwdriver and chip a bit more away! It's slate, it'll blend with the surrounding tiles no bother at all! It's a natural stone, the blowtorch definitely didn't cause that! It's just been a loose bit of slate, just chip it away and it'll be good as new! 👌
I watched him do it, he placed the pipe join right there and when he lifted it off the pieces flaked off the top was all black

I tried a bit of wd40 seems a little darker but still noticiable

OP
N
Reaction score
It’s because the rest of the floor is aged.
Is there anyway to polish or clean it all? Its supposed to be a mat kind of colour i think so I was wary of the polishes I've seen. Should I try some sort of tile floor polish please? Because the kitchens been plastered and painted and then had a new kitchen it is all quite dirty so not sure what to use on it

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Is there anyway to polish or clean it all? Its supposed to be a mat kind of colour i think so I was wary of the polishes I've seen. Should I try some sort of tile floor polish please? Because the kitchens been plastered and painted and then had a new kitchen it is all quite dirty so not sure what to use on it
Grimex is good for slate. And then depending on what finish you want , you can reseal with an impregnating sealer or a topical sealer.

T

TKD Tiling

Hello folks had a gas guy come in he decided to use a blow torch on the floor tiles after he left the tile top layer flaked off just wondering if anyone knows a way to fix this please?
Dont want to replace the whole floor and dont know if i can get another single tile as its not a new floor View attachment 122844
It’ll just be the top layer of the slate coming away, it shouldn’t go any further down. Slate is just compressed layers and it’s not uncommon for top layer to separate... without being burnt!
I wouldn’t consider the floor ‘damaged’ or ‘ruined’. Just needs a bit of attention and a re-seal.

OP
N
Reaction score
Grimex is good for slate. And then depending on what finish you want , you can reseal with an impregnating sealer or a topical sealer.

Thank u all for ur help, if I buy some grimex and clean it all do u know what sealer I should use please??? Dont know what would look best with it etc

Reply to Floor tile burnt and chipped in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock