Discuss Floor Screeders - Lancashire area in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

smac74

Anyone know (from experience) a good Floor Screeding Firm, based in or around Lancashire....
Area: 100(+)sqm floor

Need a good job doing because i've got 70sqm of Limestone to lay after. No has been lined up to do the screed, the plumbers fitting UFH and its a new build - crazy how its this far into the build with no firm lined up.
Builder doesn't realise or care that theres an expensive limestone floor going down which is a major feature as it covers 3/4 of the ground floor and combined with the labour it comes to many thousands, those of you who know what good limestone cost and the price you want for fitting it, you understand the importance of getting the screeding put down right.

The screeders i know of and trust, they can't do this job due to other commitments...

Want to try and avoid following any old floor screeder, lost count over the years of the amount of newly laid floors i've had to sort out before tiling. Conservatory Companies are shameful, you get 1 in a 1000 thats flat or level - builders, plasterers their all alike, "Dogs" as they don't have to work on the mess they leave behind.. (plasterers - tilers need the walls rough for a key) (builders - tilers will level the floor when they spread adhesive) "I've had it said to me."
How many lost man hours do tilers accumulate over the years just spent getting over other trades work - what you get for being one of last trades on the job, the mess gets passed on, but we have no-one to give too!!
Its when you have to start explaining to a customers how much extra money its going to cost them to put the work right before you can even lay a tile, they don't understand as all's they can see is its all shiny and new and it looks ok to them - they think you’re trying to rob them as there having to pay for the same job twice! (but its new mate, they say - its not new to me mate, infact an old joke actually and didn't laugh the first time round)

"Where did all that come from".. sorry for going on, not like me, thought i'd suppressed all that..

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

Remember there are plasterers on here , myself included but I have seen screeded floors by a plasterer and could feel the uneveness on the floor through the soles of my boots and conservertrys screeded by window fitters:yikes:

I now tile more than plaster but when I do any plasterwork for tilers I have a different mentality and realise the complaints they have about other trades

Last edited by a moderator:
S

smac74

Nothing personal intended, its just tradesmen banter - :smilewinkgrin: Tongue-in-cheek as they say...

Anyway, my dad's a time-served plasterer, was for 20yrs before going into tiling and my mate is a plasterer, i pass him work all the time - So, no malice intended..plus i have said the same to them...

In fact my dad's one the best plasterers i've seen, a better plasterer than he is a tiler - he's no patience for tiling anymore and now at 65yr he's more interested in growing his big onions and does part-time now with me.. Why i ask! i was happy on my own for last 8/9yrs..:incazzato:
Not good when his new motto is "we're not to a couple of mil lad" & "it'll be right when its grouted"..:mad2: ....."An alien language spoken only by plasterers" :lol:
A nightmare for me, as i pride myself on doing quality work and have a high standard..
But regards upsetting a few plasterers, thats like showing emotion - i'd be surprised i've stood in deeper puddles!!!!!!!:nopity:

"Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance"?

T

Time's Ran Out

Smac - do you need a floor screeder of did you really just want to get it off your chest.
I think that many finishing trades will have sympathy with your position with reference to the standard of work by previous trades and of course the buck has to stop somewhere!
My Dad worked with me for 5 years before he retired and it was difficult trying to 'advise' him what to do - but he kept me going long hours, never complained about the work and generally it was a great time for both of us!

Always look on the bright side.

Timeless John.

S

smac74

Feel like i've been taken a bit out of context :oops:
Like txting, you can misinterprete someone if you don't read the message in the same mannor as it was written.. No tone of voice or expression...

I did start out looking for a screeder.. Then had a little whinge.. maybe it was a bit too much for in here - but the point i was getting across was that tilers make gd a lot of work - tilers want nice flat floor and walls, but thats not a priority to some trades, they only need to finish their work to an acceptable standard..
Its only frustrating on jobs where you should expect better.....

"THEN" in my next post, i thought i'd lighten the mood and try and get some banter going with the odd plasterer!

My mistake, website not building site...:stunned: ...i am used to mixing with other trades onsite, were a more open and honest approach to subjects is quite normal - not a place to be if your a little sensitive..:cry_smile:

JOHN, As for working with my dad - i don't have a problem with him, at the end of the day he's my old man.. I was making fun regarding the situation, i served my time with him and we worked together for over 10yrs. Know its the other way round and i'm looking after him, i do the pricing, doing quotes, sort materials, speak to customers and do a lot of the fitting.. the old bugger has it easy and why not, grafted all his life..

If you met him you'd understand (calls "a spade, a spade" kind of guy - he's funny), just that tiling moved on, he didn't..
He'd love it in this forum - he'd say half of the stuff your advising is over-the-top bullocks and you'd spend more time pi**ing about than actually getting on with the job".
He does make some valid points, based on 50yrs of experience in the building trade...

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What sort of screed do you want.I can put you in touch with some good flowing screeders. The surface finish will be plenty good enough for what you need and the cost should stack up for that sort of size job. If you want some contacts PM me and I will sort it for you.

S

smac74

Feeding time at the zoo i see!!!!!

Chuck the Bab'gooner a banana for his effort :wave: and yes i can screed, never done a job that size before on my own, wouldn't even attempt it... each to there own..

D

DHTiling

I don't think the thread was out of context,,infact it made me laff..as it's true..Tilers do get the $hitty end of the stick sime times and the only plasterers that leave flat walls , are the ones that can tile...as they know what a tiler needs...:lol::lol:..

Good luck in finding a screeder and i think maybe Ajax could help you if you pm him your phone number...

No selling flowscreed on the forums though Ajax...:smilewinkgrin:

S

smac74

Cheers Dave..

I'll pm my phone number to Ajax after i've spoken to customer. Best run it by them first.. You know people can be funny about things like that..

D

doug boardley

What sort of screed do you want.I can put you in touch with some good flowing screeders. The surface finish will be plenty good enough for what you need and the cost should stack up for that sort of size job. If you want some contacts PM me and I will sort it for you.
is a flowing screed same/similar to an isocrete screed Ajax?

W

White Room

Nothing personal intended, its just tradesmen banter - :smilewinkgrin: Tongue-in-cheek as they say...

Anyway, my dad's a time-served plasterer, was for 20yrs before going into tiling and my mate is a plasterer, i pass him work all the time - So, no malice intended..plus i have said the same to them...

In fact my dad's one the best plasterers i've seen, a better plasterer than he is a tiler - he's no patience for tiling anymore and now at 65yr he's more interested in growing his big onions and does part-time now with me.. Why i ask! i was happy on my own for last 8/9yrs..:incazzato:
Not good when his new motto is "we're not to a couple of mil lad" & "it'll be right when its grouted"..:mad2: ....."An alien language spoken only by plasterers" :lol:
A nightmare for me, as i pride myself on doing quality work and have a high standard..
But regards upsetting a few plasterers, thats like showing emotion - i'd be surprised i've stood in deeper puddles!!!!!!!:nopity:

"Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance"?

I'm to thick skinned for that mate:lol:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
is a flowing screed same/similar to an isocrete screed Ajax?

Not any more Doug. The Gyvlon brand used to be part owned by Isocrete and part by Lafarge. It was marketted through the Isocrete brad firslty through Lafarge Aggregates then through Tarmac and then in 2000 Isocrete sold the remainder to Lafarge and since then it has been and still is supplied through several readymix companies. It has a bad rep in the tiling fraternity but most of the issues I see are the result either of ignorance of the product or of simple mistakes. Fortunately for me I am able to put these into perspective because I have dealt with all sorts of different types of screeds and seen probably most of the same sorts issues and even some different ones with all of them in my time.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I don't think the thread was out of context,,infact it made me laff..as it's true..Tilers do get the $hitty end of the stick sime times and the only plasterers that leave flat walls , are the ones that can tile...as they know what a tiler needs...:lol::lol:..

Good luck in finding a screeder and i think maybe Ajax could help you if you pm him your phone number...

No selling flowscreed on the forums though Ajax...:smilewinkgrin:

OK Dave - noted. Have dealt with via PM

Reply to Floor Screeders - Lancashire area in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks