Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Floor screed in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Leader

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi Guys
Hoping some of you can give me some advice on a job i have booked in for kitchen floor tile.
The customer floor has had a self leveling compound (Mapei Restoration)laid down over the top of bitumen. Few concerns i have is that on part of the floor a hole has appeared around 100mm in diameter also the guy who laid it had come back on the customer request to redo some it as it wasnt level down one end of the kitchen.
Now the guy has over mixed it as you can see in the photos their was air bubbles in the mix also cracks have appeared.
Their is no UFH under the screed the screed i was told has been down for 6 weeks , other than the hole that appeared the rest of the floor does seem pretty solid. I was already going to put down decoupling membrane ie BAL or Ditra but i dont want to fix this down if the screed is not good enough and possibly needs redoing. Thanks

OP
Leader

Leader

TF
Reaction score
Hi Guys
Hoping some of you can give me some advice on a job i have booked in for kitchen floor tile.
The customer floor has had a self leveling compound (Mapei Restoration)laid down over the top of bitumen. Few concerns i have is that on part of the floor a hole has appeared around 100mm in diameter also the guy who laid it had come back on the customer request to redo some it as it wasnt level down one end of the kitchen.
Now the guy has over mixed it as you can see in the photos their was air bubbles in the mix also cracks have appeared.
Their is no UFH under the screed the screed i was told has been down for 6 weeks , other than the hole that appeared the rest of the floor does seem pretty solid. I was already going to put down decoupling membrane ie BAL or Ditra but i dont want to fix this down if the screed is not good enough and possibly needs redoing. Thanks
View attachment 107348 View attachment 107349 View attachment 107351
I forgot to say the tiles that are eventually going to be fitted are 600x600 porcelain 12mm

S

Spare Tool

Afraid you already suspect the answer...great product Mapei reno screed but used badly!! I wouldn't fix anything on that, do you know if it's even been primed correctly?

OP
Leader

Leader

TF
Reaction score
Afraid you already suspect the answer...great product Mapei reno screed but used badly!! I wouldn't fix anything on that, do you know if it's even been primed correctly?
Hi Andy thanks for the fast response i will be honest the customer doesnt know but based on what i have seen i wouldnt want to assume he has.

D

Dumbo

Arditex na is a great product . You will do no harm in priming and it will actually stop the substrate absorbing moisture so keeping it live for longer to help with the levelling .

OP
Leader

Leader

TF
Reaction score
Just a few questions Is the tilemaster prime+grip ok to use as a primer , should i treat the Arditex or Mapei self leveler the same as anhydrite ie when set remove laitance and should i still use ditra or Bal matting on top of the screed once set even though their is no UFH.
Thanks

L

LM

Just a few questions Is the tilemaster prime+grip ok to use as a primer , should i treat the Arditex or Mapei self leveler the same as anhydrite ie when set remove laitance and should i still use ditra or Bal matting on top of the screed once set even though their is no UFH.
Thanks
That primer will be fine once you’ve removed the failed levelling compound completely. If laid correctly Renovation screed does not need any further work to tile to. With a porcelain tile you won’t need to decouple although it’s never a ‘bad’ thing to do with tiles this size, but unnecessary in this case.

Reply to Floor screed in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock