Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Floor Screed Air Bubbles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, we've had a builder come out and put in a Longfloor screed to level a room by about 40mm.

Two weeks later we've seen a lot of bubbling come up through the screen but unsure if this is an issue?

We're looking to put down Amtico flooring once the screed has dried out but trying to ascertain if there is a problem with the screed before its laid down.

Pictures can be found here:

Really appreciate any advice/help.

D

Dumbo

My guess from the pictures it needs the laitance ( loose friable layer ) sanded off.
It's common with some liquid screeds .

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Deffo needs sanding. Presumably a smoothing compound with amtico as well.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks both. I was told that Longfloor doesnt require laitance removal. I was sold this product over a gypsol anhydrite screed over this fact.
Any ideas why it would do this given that its not an anydrite screed?

J

Just Rizzle

because it was put in wet it has a latence you need this removed and the water content down to 0,5 or the amtico will lift.
a skim coat will also need to be applied when the latency removed and this also needs to be rubbed down so no trowel marks remain basically you need a glass smooth finish

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks both. I was told that Longfloor doesnt require laitance removal. I was sold this product over a gypsol anhydrite screed over this fact.
Yes. You werent told the truth. All screeds require a degree of sanding. I find it even more infuriating when you turned down my screed ie Gypsol. That it is not anhydrite is completely irrelevant.

D

Dumbo

If you were told that in writing you should at least be able to get them to remove to laitence for free .
And if they told you could lay amtico direct to it, any other prep work as well

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If you were told that in writing you should at least be able to get them to remove to laitence for free .
And if they told you could lay amtico direct to it, any other prep work as well
depending on how it was sold it could be even more as it may not be of the nature and substance reasonably expected by the customer...ie. a breach of the sale of goods act.

D

Dumbo

depending on how it was sold it could be even more as it may not be of the nature and substance reasonably expected by the customer...ie. a breach of the sale of goods act.
What I dislike is companies like this because when I turn up and say this needs doing the customer thinks you are a highwayman whereas they have already been conned but because I dont have a multi million pound business I must be the crook .

L

LM

As said above the laitance needs removed then the floor allowed to dry, prime it and at least one coat of levelling compound applied to smooth the floor. Your floor layer should be able to advise you on this.

Reply to Floor Screed Air Bubbles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock