Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Floor Preparation - Dry Pack or SLC in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I’m planning on tile a kitchen floor in an older property that has had previous modifications.
After removing some stud partition walls to create a square space I have two separate sections of floor which will require preparation. One section (2m2) is a concrete slab about 40mm lower than the other section which consists of thick travertine tile (7m2).
I appreciate it’s not best practice but I’m leaving the tile in situ. They are well bonded and I want to minimise the work.
Originally I had planned to prep the floor with SBR and pour SLC over the entire floor, then add a Ditra membrane before tile.
Using this method I would expect to use around 50mm of SLC over the lower portion of the floor and 10mm over the remainder.
I’d like to look at other options to reduce the cost and effort of the SLC and considered a cement dry pack. I’ve never used this before and I’m not sure about drying times for the Ditra mat and tile.

Given the low cost and ease of application it would be my preferred choice to make up the 40mm height difference but would appreciate advice regarding drying times for tile.

TIA

Andrew Owens

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You could stick down 40mm tile backerboards with tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to the concrete slab, much quicker maybe cheaper and then ditra.
Search on eBay for the boards.

Reply to Floor Preparation - Dry Pack or SLC in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock