Discuss Floor prep advice in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi there, I have a shop floor to price up. It's about 50m2, currently vinyl and they want it tiling. It's a suspended floor with a little bounce here and there so I'm wondering which prep option to go for. I could possibly ply over for some added rigidity then ditra over that? The main problem there is that part of the floor is concrete so how would the ply fix to that area? And what thickness ply required if using Ditra? Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
Hi there, I have a shop floor to price up. It's about 50m2, currently vinyl and they want it tiling. It's a suspended floor with a little bounce here and there so I'm wondering which prep option to go for. I could possibly ply over for some added rigidity then ditra over that? The main problem there is that part of the floor is concrete so how would the ply fix to that area? And what thickness ply required if using Ditra? Thanks in advance for any help.
Personally I'd rip up the vinyl but 18mm ply will do ya and Ur concrete area drill and plug the floor before laying trowel little adhesive underneath the ply and then begin to screw in place
Keogh Tiling

Reaction score
Personally I'd rip up the vinyl but 18mm ply will do ya and Ur concrete area drill and plug the floor before laying trowel little adhesive underneath the ply and then begin to screw in place
Keogh Tiling
Thank you, I was leaning this way but not certain about height implications. I guess if it needs to be 18mm, that's that.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
cement board floorboard area, then self level scread area to same height. Bare in mind that the joint between the two will need an expansion gap.

Last edited:
Reaction score
cement board floorboard area, then self level scread area to same height. Bare in mind that the joint between the two will need an expansion gap.
Thank you. I presume you mean 6mm cement board? Does this offer the same rigidity as 18mm ply though?

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thank you. I presume you mean 6mm cement board? Does this offer the same rigidity as 18mm ply though?

If the floor is “THAT“ bad, then you would be better off strengthening the floor first.
ie......lift floorboards, If need be, add noggins.
replace with 18 or 22mm ply, overboard that with 6mm cement board, then self level screeded area up to the cement board.

Reply to Floor prep advice in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks