Discuss Floor prep advice in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Lakey

TF
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Just after some clarification to how most appropriately prepare the attached floor.
The kitchen has a concrete floor as does the fire place hearth and the dining area is floorboards.
The dividing wall is coming out this week to make a kitchen/diner and the entire floor is to be tiled.
The floorboards seem pretty sound.
So what is the recommended way to prep the floors?
Do I,
a) Replace the floorboards with 18mm ply
b) Overboard with 10mm Wedi/Dukka/Orbry
c) Lay Ditra
d) Apply SLC
or......?

Any clarification/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

702.JPG 703.JPG 704.JPG 705.JPG

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'd go with 6mm hardi backer stuck down with a flexy addy and screwed but u have a few options see what others say

S

Spare Tool

Ive got one to do very similar next week, 600x600 slate, wood meeting up to stone flagged utility room, plan to hardi over floorboards then slc over flags, cut across doorway and fit an expansion joint..

Lakey

TF
Reaction score
Ive got one to do very similar next week, 600x600 slate, wood meeting up to stone flagged utility room, plan to hardi over floorboards then slc over flags, cut across doorway and fit an expansion joint..
I may just Hardie over everything and then SLC if needed. I won't have a threshold as the dividing wall is being taken down!

S

Spare Tool

I may just Hardie over everything and then SLC if needed. I won't have a threshold as the dividing wall is being taken down!
You cant fit hardi over concrete mate, maybe hardi floorboards then fix a similar depth insulation board over concrete area, whatever happens your gonna need some sort of expansion joint, maybe try landing a grout joint on transition and see how it sets out from there..

Lakey

TF
Reaction score
Ok thanks guys.
Just to clarify
a. Screw down existing boards
b. Overlay timber floor with 6mm Hardie
c. Overlay concrete floor with Wedi/Orbry etc
d. Screw down (on timber)
e. SLC if necessary
d. Ensure siliconed expansion joint when different substrates meet

Would anyone do anything different or use Ditra at all??

F

Flintstone

I've boarded over floors that are half wood and half concrete before and tiled as normal and they are fine many years later. One is at my parents house. You could board the whole thing with Marmox board, or no more ply stuck down with tile adhesive, and screws on the floorboard side

Reply to Floor prep advice in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks