Discuss Floor isn’t level help! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

JadeE

TF
Reaction score
We’ve had an extension and the concrete has been laid higher than the existing floor
We’ve had a self leveller put down(20 bags) it’s levelled the floor but it isn’t flat to the new extension

We’ve had a tiler come round but he’s saying he and not sure what to do
We’ve bought 60x60 porcelain white tiles
The area is big, 33 square meter. We have an island in the middle so I feel where the tiles would go up slightly wouldn’t be too noticeable

Does anyone have any ideas what we can do?
Thanks in advance

B19E0A07-4B07-42DB-B4A1-971D28E05C7E.jpeg

O

One Day

Sorry, bad news: The leveller that is shown, appears to be very poorly mixed.
Decent leveller, properly mixed and applied will be uniform in colour.
Secondly, The only way to get a good tiled finish that will last, is to start with a decent floor.

60x30 tiles particularly if brick-bond will need a decent floor to begin with.
If there's a hump where you've indicated, how high is it?
What's the difference in height and over what distance?

JadeE

TF
Reaction score
Sorry, bad news: The leveller that is shown, appears to be very poorly mixed.
Decent leveller, properly mixed and applied will be uniform in colour.
Secondly, The only way to get a good tiled finish that will last, is to start with a decent floor.

60x30 tiles particularly if brick-bond will need a decent floor to begin with.
If there's a hump where you've indicated, how high is it?
What's the difference in height and over what distance

Thanks for your reply
It’s been mixed with sand to bulk up hence the orange colour, the white it’s just mainly paint we’ve spilt
The arrow points to the lip and it is about 10mm higher. The rest then goes down flat but not level

D

Dumbo

Ask why he has put the floor in at the wrong level and he he is going to do to remedy it .
I find it unacceptable having to go into people's houses and telling how much of their money I'm going to spend putting somebody else's work right , when it should been done right in the first place .
But 2 options . Raise the low floor or drop the high floor . . Level one or grind the other

D

Dumbo

Also the customer looks at you as though you are trying to rip them off when in fact Its the builder that they have already paid is the one that has stolen their money

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Its can be done, not every floor we (well , what ive tiled over the years) are perfectly flat , in fact most aint.
As impish says the leveller looks over watered, but it could be the pic.
My advice would be to grind,bang more leveller down if possible, or run the tile joint down the hump in the floor so a tile runs either side of the hump .
Floors are very rarely perfect in the real world

F

Flintstone

You don't put sand in levelling compound ! I've seen this done once before and it was damp and never set right.

Wayne Brown

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
FM that's a mess its gonna need a good sanding back any mixing issues will show up and need addressing before any tiles go down . Kop

Reply to Floor isn’t level help! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks