Discuss Floor drying times in a conservatory. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
How long would you leave a conservatory floor to dry before you tile it...?
I normally say 6/7 weeks..
However the conservatory company are saying it needs 3 months.... probably trying to get there own back cause I've told them I'm going to have to level there crap floor.
It's concrete floor...

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Trying to find out the thickness, can't see it being much more the 60mm
It was laid end of March..

D

Dumbo

Put a hygrometer on it . It's then ready when it say so . No arguments .
Also what is it with conservatories do they employ the worst screeded on purpose

F

Flintstone

How big is it? If it’s not extremely large I would go for dural and get it done Andy, it will get extreme temps in there over the year so uncoupling wouldn’t go a miss to be honest, put it to the customer.

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Andy - thats quite difficult to answer. Assume it has a DPC and knowing the concrete mix could help. An RH meter drilled into the surface can be used once its cured so you are only measuring the water left to evaporate (not to cure). Original water content, thickness, temperature - it does it share the air with the house or is it sealed? (so the air will be very moist)
This is (I think) the most practical resource (sorry it's American so) I could think of. https://laticrete.com/~/media/support-and-downloads/technical-datasheets/tds183.ashx?la=en
The data Albert mentioned you will see as a rule of thumb and if it has a DPC, is a 'normal' concrete and has air movement then its pretty good.

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

If its a screed ignore my post. The data isn't mine. Structural concretes and grouts were close to me and experts were people brought in when needed.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If it has a dpm underneath you can use a liquid dpm on top. Prime using water based epoxy wait for it to dry (6 hrs) then apply second coat and while still tacky scatter with dry silica sand. Leave to set for 16 hrs min the vac up any loose sand then tile. Alternatively use dotes

W

WetSaw

Pop into Aldi and pick up one of these .... 20180402_173035.jpg 20180402_173053.jpg

I can't guarantee the accuracy!!

Reply to Floor drying times in a conservatory. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks