Discuss Fixing tiles with plasterboard adhesive in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

lasors

Ok, I know it's a bodge, but I hate waste and I have perhaps a dozen tiles to go on the wall as a bottom row above the floor and I've run out of Adesilex P9. I don't want to spend £30 on a new bag for such a small area and I have half a bag of plasterboard adhesive which will also be binned if not used. Tiles are 400x200.

Will I get away with sticking the tiles with the board adhesive?

NB: It's diy.

W

White Room

Don't know where your buying your addy at £30 a pop but dri adhesive is a no no....

T

Time's Ran Out

What type of answers do you expect?

While your at it you could try Sellotape or pritt.

L

lasors

TileGiant... didn't know where else to look. I chose them as they are a Mapei stockist and have a good range of coloured grouts and matching silicone.

L

lasors

What type of answers? Only honest ones! However, if it can't be used, why not? What is it that makes the two adhesives so fundamentally different? So far they've both dried rock hard for me, one seems to hold the board on the wall as well as the other holds the tiles.

Not trying to be wind anyone up I'm genuinely interested in a proper answer.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Not really... It will dry eventually, but could take a while.. Once dry though, you shouldn't have any problems.
with the plasterboard adhesive, I'm tempted to say try it, and let us know in a few months whether or not the tiles are still on lol!

D

Dougs Third Go

if your tiles are porcelain or large format (as yours are) you need a flexible polymer modified adhesive (tile adhesive) to stick tiles. Dri wall isn't polymer modified as far as I know and neither is tubbed paste.

Reaction score
Quality post.

I'd be getting a better priced adhesive to finish it off. You should be able to get a rapid flex for £15, try Topps own brand or something

or you could DIYW
Do It Your Way!

Pic's needed for forum perusal

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
well, iv'e looked on the back of a bag of plaster board adhesive I had in the garage and can't see anywhere, where it say's it can be used for fixing tiles.....so why would you want to take the risk..?

buy a small bag of adhesive from a local tile shop, will only cost a tenner, or let us know where you live, you never know someone on here may have half a bag knocking around you can have..

I

Ian

well, iv'e looked on the back of a bag of plaster board adhesive I had in the garage and can't see anywhere, where it say's it can be used for fixing tiles.....so why would you want to take the risk..?

buy a small bag of adhesive from a local tile shop, will only cost a tenner, or let us know where you live, you never know someone on here may have half a bag knocking around you can have..

I was in Topps a few months back and there was a guy in there who wanted enough adhesive for one tile, they were trying to charge him £18 for a 3.5kg bag of BAL something or other! I had about 5kg of Weber SPF left in a bag and told him he could have it for a fiver. I wish I'd taken a pic of the salesman's face.

M

Mr Tiler

I was in Topps a few months back and there was a guy in there who wanted enough adhesive for one tile, they were trying to charge him £18 for a 3.5kg bag of BAL something or other! I had about 5kg of Weber SPF left in a bag and told him he could have it for a fiver. I wish I'd taken a pic of the salesman's face.
I have had this experience with another store must of thought I was a rite numpty

Reply to Fixing tiles with plasterboard adhesive in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks