Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Fixing jackoboard over existing dot & dab plasterboard - what thickness should I use. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I’ve not been on for a while since completing a new fully tiled ensuite last year. Help on here was superb! Thank you.
I’m onto the main bathroom now which has been gutted and then plaster-boarded. This was done 6 months ago. I’m thinking of creating a new shower cubicle which will have a sliding door, rather than a door & glass side panel. To do this i need to build either a stud wall, plasterboard, then tank the whole area with ardex ( as i used last time) or possibly use 50mm x 2500mmx 900mm jackoboard. If i went this route I was thinking I could line the other 2 plasterboard walls with 6mm jackoboard to maintain consistancy.

questions:
1) is a 50mm jackoboard strong enough to withstand a sliding door closing against it?
2) how would the door frame fix to the jackoboard.
3) can the end of the 50mm jackoboard be bonded to the existing dot & dab plasterboard
4) is 6mm jackoboard on the plasterboard walls thick enough to tile onto - 10mm 250 x 600 porcelain.

Sorry for the long post! Tia.

OP
Steve_Bcs
Reaction score
Decided to build a stud wall for greater stability & use marmox 12.5mm 1200x600 boards on the three sides. Tilefix advised on the method & supplied everything I needed. I’m also replacing all floorboards with 18mm ply. Thanks

Reply to Fixing jackoboard over existing dot & dab plasterboard - what thickness should I use. in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock