Discuss fix porcelain to laminate ?? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

P

paulyoung666

i have 2 small areas of tile ( 2 square foot or so ) that i need to fix to a kitchen unit , i was thinking of pinkgrip or similar , i have a bag of mapei p9 which i cant see being any good , and really want to avoid buying a big bag of different addy for 2 small areas if i can avoid it :thumbsup:

M

mikethetile

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
is this vertical or horizontal fixing

D

doug boardley

the only way I can see them staying put with pink grip or the like is if you put a rebated picture frame type structure round them:thumbsdown:

M

mikethetile

theres a lot of weight in 2m2 of porcelain and kitchen units are designed to for the weight to go down and forwards, so the units are hung on brackets

the side of the unit is only fixed into chipboard at the top and bottom

the laminate is bonded to chipboard and is only designed to carry its own weight

if you really want to go ahead i would design something that isnt relying on a chipboard unit to hold it up

pink grip or similar such as sticks like sht will bond the porce to ply but it will be to heavy to fit on your unit

P

paulyoung666

theres a lot of weight in 2m2 of porcelain and kitchen units are designed to for the weight to go down and forwards, so the units are hung on brackets

the side of the unit is only fixed into chipboard at the top and bottom

the laminate is bonded to chipboard and is only designed to carry its own weight

if you really want to go ahead i would design something that isnt relying on a chipboard unit to hold it up

pink grip or similar such as sticks like sht will bond the porce to ply but it will be to heavy to fit on your unit

done what i should have done in the first place , measured it , it is actually 0.12 square metres , the porcelain is 6 mm thick , it is not a question of really wanting to go ahead , i have to do it somehow as i am replacing old ceramic tiles and there is no way but to retile because of the way the tiling was done originally :incazzato:

P

paulyoung666

hot melt glue , i have just tried it and there is no way i can twist the tile off by hand , looks as though it is going to do the job , might not be exactly professional , but if it works :lol:

Reply to fix porcelain to laminate ?? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.