Discuss fitting a glass shower panel to a out of sqaure wall in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

klunk

TF
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of fitting a wet room but the wall is out of plumb and the floor is sloping slighty i leveled floor as much as i could with shims prior to boarding

Now its all tiled the shower screen has arrived which is a 1850 tall x 1000 wide glass panel which has a inch roughly deep channel which fixes to the wall and the panel fits onto and is screwed through usual way but because the floor runs slighty down and the wall is not plumb when the panel is sat on the floor it touches on bottom corner but is about 1 1/2 away from wall at top so no good to fix through,

Is there anywhere you can buy a deeper channel from?

T

Time's Ran Out

:yikes: If it's an inch and a half out someone hasn't done their job properly!
I'd consider cutting the wall mounting into the tiles with and angle grinder.:mad2:

klunk

TF
Reaction score
Is no way could have plumbed wall up more than was just above wall the ceiling curves into the centre of room

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Dodgy prep work b4 tiling...............if the walls where THAT bad, then they should have been sorted.

klunk

TF
Reaction score
Well I can see I asked in the wrong place for help on this,
All it needs is a channel half inch deeper to sort it which ill find myself

Obviously this forum isn't to help people with solutions its just to make stupid comments

Thanks for nothing

M

Mike

i don't think the comments were stupid, the walls should have been prepped right before starting. as for a deeper channel you'd best try the company who made/supplied the screen as it needs to fit the glass correctly. if you can't get one off them you may have to get something made off an engineering company but that could be costly.

C

Colour Republic

Don't think the comments are stupid at all. You say the channel is an inch deep and it's 1.5" out so that's 2.5" out in total, that's huge over 1.8m. You also say the floor is out slightly well being a wet room I hope this 'out slightly' runs towards a drain!!

Assuming everything else is ok I would see if you can take back the pre-made screen and then go and get a custom one cut, it costs less than you might think

bobbynz

TF
Arms
Reaction score
whhaaaa---baby-cry-whhaaaa-smiley-emoticon-000822-large.gif If my walls were out by about 2 inches thats 50mm in the modern world i'd be crying too. Normally the glass guys would have measured to fit but it might be too late to trim now as its probably tempered safety glass which needs to be cut to shape before the hardening process begins.
If the glass is a standard size then you might be able to return and have another sheet cut to fit without putting in some ugly as giant frame that will cost you anyway.And as always, this is, just, in my humble opinion.

oh and by the way.......about the baby........i'm sorry ......but its just my very sad kiwi humour:8:

D

Deleted member 1779

Have you considered doing it the other way?

We trimed a glass door that was well out of true just like yours.

The door mounting was fixed so no play there. And a huge gap when looking at the glass to the wall.

So to conceal it we place a bit of trim down the open side. Wider at the top. Narrow at the bottom.

375783_10150344391682014_617362013_8064499_1159414331_n.jpg

OK so now the shower door looks true to the wall. It all lines up.

But OPEN the shower door and step inside.....

297730_10150344391852014_617362013_8064501_298223907_n.jpg

Look how wide the silver trim has to come out to reach the wall.
Its pulled out a long way.
The blue stuff is glass glue.

376592_10150344391937014_617362013_8064502_211763126_n.jpg

The bottom of the glass door shows the silver trim being pulled in well tight.
And there is a lot more surface area for the glue to bind to.

Fixing it this way lets you install and set up the shower door so that it opens and closes like normal.
You dont have to have an oversized sleeve on the hinge size.
The door opens flat and true (its not bent up or down)
and then once everything is settled THEN you glue the trim piece on.

As I said we used mirror adhesive for this job and its still stuck fast after 9 years.

Options:
Dont like looking at the defect INSIDE the shower? Want to hide it?
Simple just buy TWO trim pieces and glue the second piece inside the shower to copy the outer trim.

Then fill the gap with silicone.

Hope that provides another option for you to consider.

307221_10150344391727014_617362013_8064500_351015604_n.jpg

Above is a very close shot so that you can see it.

Where did the trim come from? Local B&Q at the back near the wood in a trim racking with everything
from dowl poles, beading, wood plastic, and of course metal.

C

Colour Republic

That's in a shower enclosure though Rich. I think as this is in a wet room the glass is fixed and the problem is the fixing to the wall not the other side??

D

Deleted member 1779

Oh yes I see what you mean! So yes its more about fixing it like this...

389467_10150344498977014_617362013_8064969_618665761_n.jpg

Go back to sleep me then !!!

Got that one totally wrongunnn :smilewinkgrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

klunk

TF
Reaction score
Hi,
Sorry about the previous post I have lot things on my mind atm and this on top
The gap is 1 1/2 inches total not the inch trim plus 1 1/2 maybe was way I posted it,

I think I have a, solution that will hopefully sort it

Reply to fitting a glass shower panel to a out of sqaure wall in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks