Discuss First Timer Metro Tiles On Wonky Walls in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

morganste

Good afternoon!

Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction.

I'm about to start tiling in between my worktops and wall cabinets in the kitchen. The problem is the walls are all over the place!

My thinking was to true the walls with plasterboard and tile over that, would this be a proper method?

The problem is I would want a trim that would go over the plasterboard and tile at the end on the worktop run (from worktop to wall cabinet) which would be roughly 15mm thick without adhesives.

Can anyone advise whether I'm going about this the right way please?

Kind regards,

Steve

B

Bill

Hack off the plaster and start again, if you are lucky you could have enough depth to just stick plaster board back in place of the old plaster, then tile straight onto that - otherwise, replaster it.

M

morganste

Thanks for the advise, all this seems a bit daunting for a novice DIYer.

By how much would you say the wall could be out before you would board/replaster?

M

Martino

If you don't back butter your tiles and follow the spahe of the wall....how ever the wall looks now your tiles will follow suit.....if you Fail to prepare....prepare to fail....haha...you can have that one for nowt....

Can you take a pic?

M

morganste

20160411_205238.jpg
20160411_205359.jpg
It's hard to put into pictures but you should see what I mean with these...

I'm also hoping the new tiles will cover the gap between the worktop and the wall

M

Martino

Wet the old tile adhesive let it soak in for a while and it will help to remove it....how thick are the tiles your using and how big is the gap from wall to worktop?....what size tiles are you using?

M

morganste

Thanks for the adhesive tip!

The tiles are 100 x 200mm beveled edge, approx. 5mm thick.

The biggest gap i will have to cover is 14mm, the one everyone would notice coming through the door is 9mm

M

Martino

No probs....to get over a gap that size your going to have to fix plasterboard onto the wall....only question is.....the wall that you will be fixing it to....is it wall to wall or will you see the end of the plasterboard?....that could be a problem!.....14mm is too much to plaster though

M

morganste

The 14mm gap is wall to wall so i could pasterboard that and hide it? not sure what id do at the top row of tiles as its the window wall aswell.

The 9mm gap is an open end and will be the first thing you see coming through the door....

M

Martino

I would board the 14mm wall with 12.5mm plasterboard...as for the other wall you could probably get away with spreading the wall and also spreading/back buttering the tiles to get more depth too....bear in mind you may need a deeper tile trim if you build the tiles out.....your also more than likley to nee longer screws for any electric sockets you have too

M

morganste

Thankyou, really appreciate your time!

I'll go and pick some plasterboard up tomorrow and tackle the bigger gap first and see how i get on.

Reply to First Timer Metro Tiles On Wonky Walls in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks