Discuss First time using jackoboard in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Jon329

TF
Reaction score
Hello, could anyone point me in the right direction as to how to seal around a stone resin shower tray. I've previously installed a shower former, in which I used ardex wpc to tank the area and seal the former to the tanked wall, can this method be used when sealing a tray though?

I've got jackoboard 12.5mm to the floor, i've ordered some board-fix to glue the jackoboard together, jackoboard states you need to tape joints to seal in wet areas, so I was considering just getting the ardex WPC again as it might do everything I need with just one product. So I was thinking I could use it to tape over joints and I was considering coating the plywood in ardex WPC for piece of mind as it's not marine grade ( paint bal SBR on back and sides)

The big question in my mind though is could I use a thick mixture of ardex on some scrim tape to seal the tray to the wall or am I best still just buying a tanking "upstand" tape

Thanks in advance!
[automerge]1587113099[/automerge]
20200415_131716.jpg

O

Old Mod

Get a ‘classiseal’ tape to seal between tray and wall. One of the best solutions on the market for about £20.
if you apply WPC too thickly, it could fail.

View: https://youtu.be/m5dB-Gg0WIo?list=PLFUnC9Lb_Z_iu7WkzrdkAldSranCei2wm

Jon329

TF
Reaction score
Looks ideal, and a very nice price, thanks for taking the time to reply.
I was worried that I should have boarded on top of the shower tray rather than pushing the tray up to the board, however I guess a system like this requires the board behind it to rest up against.

Do you think the plywood requires tanking or is that a bit over the top ?

O

Old Mod

Nothing is over the top when it comes to preserving not only the workmanship, but also protecting other areas from water.
Is it something we normally do?
No, it isn’t, but that’s probably down to our confidence in our install.
If it’s something you feel more comfortable doing, then it certainly wouldn’t be detrimental.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would always recommend fitting tray to wall, if you put boards on top of the tray you run the risk of your shower door not fitting the gap or not following the radius of tray on quadrants correctly.

Jon329

TF
Reaction score
Thanks Boggs, thats a relief, so many differing opinions with this foam board, as some people have highlighted, the cement face isn't waterproof but the foam is, so I was worried I was losing the benefit of the board as theoretically the cement layer is separating the waterproof foam layer from the waterproof flexible upstand, plus you have the chamfer of the tray to contend with when using this flexible upstand.

So I'm going to purchase some of that classi-seal, do you guys tend to use a waterproof tape on the board joins and screw heads after using "boardfix" or "wedi 610"

Reply to First time using jackoboard in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks