Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Outdoor Tiling | Tiling outdoors in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

DIYDan

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I've had some great advice on here before and i'm back for some more - mainly about https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ choice.

I built a gazebo in the back garden earlier this year and have put a hot tub under it. The concrete has been down for 3 months and it'll be 2-3 months max before i start this job, so still quite "fresh". I plan on using standard dotti r9 tiles (prob 300x300) straight on to the concrete, but as the concrete is so new i'm not sure if i should use a decoupling mat (if so, which one?) and i have no clue what https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ i need and how thick i should trowel it.

The tub is 2.1m x 2.1m and would easily tip 2.5 T when full of water and people. Ideally i need something that will cure up quickly enough that i can get the hot tub moved back on to it in 2-3 days max - even if i had to wait maybe another few days before refilling it. It also needs to be suitable for outdoor use and easy enough to work with for a DIYer. I could tile around the tub without moving it, but it would probably look a bit half-assed and would have the potential to retain water underneath the tub, which i don't want. The total area is roughly 9m2.

Any advice, tips, pointers gratefully received.

tub.jpg

Reaction score
Just finished a job laying 20mm porcelain 600 x 300 slabs. Laid on a sand and cement 1/4 mix for a patio with a hot tub. Straight onto concrete sub floor. Slabs and concrete cement and bonding agent slurry applied to both surfaces. Hot tub placed and filled with no issues.

Reaction score
PS, Make sure the cement is semi dry. i.e not too wet. you should be able to form a handful of cement in your hand and it should retain its shape and not break up or be wet ( If that makes sense) 10 -15mm bed will be sufficient.

Rajanm

-
Reaction score
Hi all, I am currently having my patio tiled under my pergola with a Matt porcelain patterned tile. It's called the azteca blue tile and the manufacturer has said it does not need to be sealed.

It has a rough anti-slip surface which looks like it could trap dirt. My question is does this need to be sealed or would I be wasting my time and money sealing it?

If I do seal it, I was thinking of using the ltp porcelain tile pre grout protector before it's all grouted next weekend. What are your thoughts?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Please contribute to this thread if you have any new information or can even just reiterate what has been said already. :)
Hi all, I am currently having my patio tiled under my pergola with a Matt porcelain patterned tile. It's called the azteca blue tile and the manufacturer has said it does not need to be sealed.

It has a rough anti-slip surface which looks like it could trap dirt. My question is does this need to be sealed or would I be wasting my time and money sealing it?

If I do seal it, I was thinking of using the ltp porcelain tile pre grout protector before it's all grouted next weekend. What are your thoughts?
No they don’t need sealing.

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
Please contribute to this thread if you have any new information or can even just reiterate what has been said already. :)

You did answer your own question !the manufacturer says they don't need sealing ! Problem is you have spent alot of money on a tile you now realise is probably not best for use in an area that is going to get dirty !! Just buy a jet washer and clean it regularly!! Sealant won't stop leaf mulch or https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ from sitting on the sandpaper almost texture of tiles you have bought !! You just have to clean alot

Reaction score
Hey guys, I haven't yet done any floor tile and about to do a 30sqm balcony. Existing ceramic tiles are textured and quite porous. I'm going to prime and then start laying the 500*500 porcelain tile and get myself some levelling wedges.

Would appreciate any advice as I'd hate for it to go balls up Cheers

Reaction score
Outdoor Kitchen Countertop

Dear experienced tilers,

I am writing in hopes that someone with experience in my particular task has done it before and is confident that the materials and stuff they use will work out well for an outdoor kitchen counter.

I assume the easiest solution to solve this problem is to hire someone to install a granite countertop. I have two issues with this, 1. I can't afford it and 2. It's hard for me to put granite or similar material, on an outside kitchen when I don't have it in my inside kitchen. In addition, my cabinets have more of a rustic appearance rather than polished.

I was considering doing a cement countertop, but this would have to be done on top of the cabinets in place, because of all the cut outs, there is no way of shaking the bubbles out, and when I asked for a few quotes, it was almost as expensive as a granite counter top.

As a temporary counter top (or so I thought, for the last 11years) I used 2 sheets of sheathing plywood covered with plastic table cloths matching what ever event we happen to be celebrating (birthday, baptism, baby shower, etc.)

As I start this project I will have to purchase a new plywood base and cut it to size.

In search of options I came across pool coping, which I liked as an alternative. I liked the 12” x 24” x 2”. The size works well because I can use the coping around the whole counter, having a finished edge, no actual “holes” had to be cut just slices that would go around the columns, minimum cuts for me, and fill in the center with another piece like so:

My first question is do I use Marine plywood? 1 or 2 layers, and ultimately how thick. Originally I thought of 2 pieces of 3/4” would be a strong base along with one layer of cement board. The pool coping is 2” thick, but I think that is way overboard and ultimately too much weight. My brother doubts that the cabinets or the deck was made to hold that kind of weight. So the question is “should I use the pool coping with just one sheet of 3/4” marine board or what?”

Next I was shown 1/4” porcelain, which seems like it is too thin and easily cracked. Lastly, I have found some outside porcelain that is itself 3/4’ thick and seems like a good possibility. In either scenario I’d like your opinion, which you think of as the most feasible for me to accomplish (least amount of cuts, easy to apply molding, and forgiving material). I am fairly well experienced with wood work and construction, but I never have done tile work. I do have one family relative that said he would assist me, but he has never done outside tile work. I don’t mind hiring a person for this, but I have not found anyone who is experienced in this. I would like to do this only once, (and before I have to move out of this house), so I do need help telling me what experienced tiler’s would suggest as far thicknesses, bases, and glues. Ten years ago this seemed like a fun project to tackle, now I would just like to be done with it and enjoy it the space. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Cynthia

Reaction score
I plan on tile my outdoor veranda next month, and thought I'd post this in case I'm about to do it wrong, or maybe someone can suggest a better way, or tips or improvements.

It is covered by the roof, but still gets rain on it regularly with the wind. From markings on it I can see it has had tiles before at some time.
It is mostly rectangular concrete slab, with a small diagonal section, and measures 1.2m wide x 5m long x 150mm thick. It has a 10-15mm drop to the 1.2m section for rain run off. Other than that it is fairly even and level, and is well above the damp proof membrane.

I have bought enough tiles to do the job, these are a mid gray 150mm square porcelain quarry type tiles. There are single rounded edge tiles for the outer edge, and normal tiles for all the other sections.

I plan to seal the concrete bed in case it proves to be too absorbent. I guess this will slow down the drying time of the tiles, but I will be in no hurry and can leave it for a few days. I plan to use Prime Bond Water Based SBR Primer

I then plan to start on the outside edge with the rounded edge tiles as my datum line to work from, then work inwards, and trim the final row of tiles as I reach the inner wall. I was thinking of a 6mm https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ bed, with an 8mm gap between tiles. I plan to use Mapei Keraquick Grey Fast Setting https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/
Will 8mm joints be enough over 5m, or will I need an expansion joint?

Once the tiles are set I plan to use Mapei Ultracolor Plus Cement Grey Wall & Floor Grout for grouting. I wasn't planning on sealing the area beyond this unless it was adviseable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lunner

-
Reaction score
I have two counters under a gazeebo, brick walls with a concrete top.

I pre-cast the concrete 100mm thick, and then bedded this onto the brickwork, this was then tiled with porcelain tiles on the top and sides.

I looked at a polished concrete counter top, but this would mean shuttering and pouring the concrete in-situ, whihc is a lot of work, and then even more work involved in polishing it. I too looked at granite as an option, but, worte it off for the same reasons that you did

Attachments

• 20210605_150831.jpg
    20210605_150831.jpg
    646.9 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
I have two counters under a gazeebo, brick walls with a concrete top.

I pre-cast the concrete 100mm thick, and then bedded this onto the brickwork, this was then tiled with porcelain tiles on the top and sides.

I looked at a polished concrete counter top, but this would mean shuttering and pouring the concrete in-situ, whihc is a lot of work, and then even more work involved in polishing it. I too looked at granite as an option, but, worte it off for the same reasons that you did
Thank you so much for your response. I understand what you did. I also thought about a concrete top, but between building the frame, getting the bubbles out and then polishing the top, the idea was trashed. Thank you for your assistance. I'd love to show you my counter tops, but I'm sure it would be at least 1 month before I can finish. If I can find you on this site again, then I will.

K

Kathryn

The day after my porcelain wood-plank look tile was installed, I had a party. I am now spending massive amounts of time cleaning off food oil stains, weeping cherry tree berry stains and rubber wheel marks from a wheelchair. I thought porcelain did not need sealing. I thought wrong!

Reaction score
Some need sealing, some don’t… if the manufacturer states not to seal them, then don’t. Jet wash the tiles but avoid the grout joints.

Reply to Outdoor Tiling | Tiling outdoors in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock