Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss First job please help in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
first job

Hi All

I start my first paid job on monday in a conservatory, in the centre of the room is a rodding eye, the owner says he has never used it and doesn't care if it gets covered up, my concern is that is is raised off the floor by a few mm and if i went over the top of it that it would make the tile crack when any force is applied on top of it. I also thought that maybe i could cut around it and just explain that there is nothing else i can do as i cant cover it.

Please help with this as it kept me awake all night lol!!! should i cover it or cut around it or does anyone know any other tricks?

Thanks you

Toby

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

Matty A

Hi tjs

I wouldnt recomend tile over the RE as it is an essential access point to the drainage system below i would just explain this to the customer and maybe you could find some kind of cover for it hope this helps

Good luck

OP
E

epymsam

My kitchen floor is tiled over a drain acess point. A brass surround has been placed over the rodding point and tiled over. The edges of the surround protrude through the grouting, but are flush with the surrounding tiles. I.e. to gain access to the rodding point, you would break / lift the tiles within the brass surround and then replace them, once the drainage issue is fixed. At least this way you only disturb a few tiles rather than causing problems with the rest of the floor. Also it allows for a neat join when the tiles are replaced. If you go ths route, make sure your customer has some spare tiles to cope with such an eventuality.

Reply to First job please help in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock