Discuss First internal corner - problems. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

TIM

Hi peeps, this is my first diy tile job in a small box room of the kitchen.
I have started on the main wall as you go into the room, I used a straight starting baton and have tiled outwards and have now got to first internal corner.
So I cut the edge tiles leaving a gap for the silicone as you should.
So using another baton which has been set level from the tile line of the completed wall I was going to continue but I have a problem.

The damm wall internal corner is terrible, I cannot get a straight fininsh in the corner if i go from the straight edge of the baton,I will have a horrid gap.
The gap would be small at the bottom but as much as 15 mm to the top of the corner.
I do not know what to do for the best now, should I just cut the corner tiles as best as I can and hide them with trim?
Or can you tell me a better way- do not want to skim wall the room is tiny 6 foot x 3*11.

Thank you
Tim.

B

bugs183

It's hard to tell with no photo.
Can you centre the wall from the widest part so the cuts become equal either end of the wall at the widsst part?

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Am guessing ,that you will have to centre the wall as bugs said and rake the cuts in the corners to suit from your post am guessing you were going to come a full tile from the corner.

M

micko

As above do not start with a full tile. Find the middle of the wall where it is widest and mark out where the tiles will drop with a pencil. Even it out so you have a cut of the same size at both ends.
Do the wall and then fit the cut tiles last.

T

TIM

Thank you chaps.
I think what you are saying is carry on with the tile line from the other wall, and i will have to do some angle cuts on the ends so my sealant line in the corner looks straight.
So let's say i cut one of the corner tiles 30cm at the bottom and 35 cm at the top to keep the line that would be ok?.
Obviously I would have to measure each one a cut as needed.

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score
yes thats right called point to point cutting or line to line ,only way of doing it if the walls are that far out .

beanz

TF
Reaction score
When you set it out, get these corner tiles as big as possible. 1st set it out with the side of the tile on the centre line, and if that gives you a small cut, centre the tile on the line. ;)

C

charlie1

Glad you got it sorted, in taking a guess that your diy? Ps, a decent pro tiler would have tiled the first wall straight and plumb, the benefits of this are when you move on to your next wall thee is no need for point to point marking and it all looks better in the end. Its all in the prep my man!

Reply to First internal corner - problems. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks