Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss First Home - Is this wall tiling acceptable? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi - new member looking for some advice.

This is my first home and first renovation work we've had done, so not sure how to judge the quality.

Attached are some picture of our bathroom renovation. This is the second attempt at tile the walls. The first went quite badly with a lot of uneven and not straight tiles as they hadn't evened out the wall surface. They've now boarded the walls that caused the problem and retiled.

Although the tiles are now straight and certainly better, they just don't seem to be consistently level. There are also some that appear to have small chips taken out of them. Attached a few pictures to try and show it.

With the larger size of these tiles, am I being too much of a perfectionist to think the surface should be even all over? Or is it normal to be a little bit out? I'm not sure what to do given they have already retiled it once. What do you think?

Attachments

• Border.jpg
    Border.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Chips 2.png
    Chips 2.png
    535 KB · Views: 69
  • Uneven 1.jpg
    Uneven 1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Uneven 2.jpg
    Uneven 2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Uneven 3.jpg
    Uneven 3.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Uneven 4.jpg
    Uneven 4.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 67

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I agree with Albert, this is a shocking job and there is no reason you should accept this standard of work.
Grouting in chipped tiles is not acceptable in any case and shows the installers lack of respect for the customer and the job he is being paid to undertake.

L

LM

It’s as if it was tiled in the dark and the plonker doing it was wearing boxing gloves. As Albert said it’s shocking! I dread to think what the prep work and tanking if any are like.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. For context our lead contractor is our plumber who did a great job on our central heating so decided to use him for the bathroom as well - been happy with his work but the guy he contracted to do plastering and tile is really the issue.

Discussed with him yesterday and agreed that the tile isn't good enough, and agreed that we could get a second opinion from someone on how best to resolve it. We will not be getting the same guy back again to fix it.

As you might expect the second opinion was to rip it all out and start again. They also pointed out that there aren't just cosmetic issues here, but throughout the wrong adhesives, techniques and materials have been used so this work won't last. (not watertight, dot and dabbed heavy porcelain tiles)

Tough because we like our plumber and he's been screwed by his contractors bad work, and this will cost him a lot to fix. Have provided him with all the info and waiting for him to review and go about fixing it.

D

Dumbo

You may like your plumber but he didnt like you enough to use a tiler that he has known for many years who has turned out immpeccable work every time he has used him , or this may be the guy he uses every time but today hes got found out .

Reaction score
Hi - new member looking for some advice.

This is my first home and first renovation work we've had done, so not sure how to judge the quality.

Attached are some picture of our bathroom renovation. This is the second attempt at tile the walls. The first went quite badly with a lot of uneven and not straight tiles as they hadn't evened out the wall surface. They've now boarded the walls that caused the problem and retiled.

Although the tiles are now straight and certainly better, they just don't seem to be consistently level. There are also some that appear to have small chips taken out of them. Attached a few pictures to try and show it.

With the larger size of these tiles, am I being too much of a perfectionist to think the surface should be even all over? Or is it normal to be a little bit out? I'm not sure what to do given they have already retiled it once. What do you think?
Buy it off Ebay?

Reply to First Home - Is this wall tiling acceptable? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock