Discuss First ever bathroom tile job. Have i done things right or wrong in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Had my bathroom ripped out and plumbers first fix at weekend. Tiler I had turned up Sunday. Did an hour and half. Did half a wall that looked a complete mess. I tried to put it right but couldn't. Me and my missus decided they would look horrendous and got rid of the tiler. No one could come at such short notice so we decided we'd have to do it ourselves. Il upload pics when it's finished

All the lines are straight and level. I primed the walls. I've made a mistake by fitting window trim after. The tile is 10mm thick and the adhesive bed in places is thick due to the walls being so far out. So the trim doesn't sit on the window itself it sits part on the window. A tiny bit. Then on top of the tile

The walls are shocking as well. I didn't expect a perfect job but honestly the gut was a retired tiler who I think couldn't be bothered. My main concern is in places the adhesive is 20mm thick to compensate for walls being out. The tiles are 500 wide by 250 high and 10mm thick. The adhesive bed is 6mm to 10mm. In some it's 4mm. The max is 20mm. Now my worry is is this too thick. The tiles are solid. The ones high up are the worst out so were the adhesive is thickest and that's what concerns me the most.

Reaction score
This is what I mean with the thickness of adhesive. Is how thick it is in places a problem? The tiles are solid. Where I can get my fingers in and pulling with slight force they won't come. No budging at all. Their is no grout in yet

Attachments

• 20220407_162321.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 20220407_162330.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220407_162425.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 20220407_162428.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 20220407_162309.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 20220407_162303.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 72
Reaction score
Is the gap too big and a risk of any falling off the wall? They've all got plenty of adhesive on and seem rock solid. Im panicking thinking the depth is too much and that they may just randomly fall off. And if the high ones fall off its a huge risk

Reply to First ever bathroom tile job. Have i done things right or wrong in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks