Discuss First complain about my work. TOTALLY GUTTED! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Jimbobble

I've been working with a property developer & an architect which I thought was going well. I did the shower area as usual & thought I was doing a good job of it.
There is some very slight lapping on the tiles but nothing I'd ever consider as a bad job. As it stands I'm not working with these guys anymore & am beating myself up pretty badly about it.
There is some slight lapping on the tiles but nothing that I would consider a bad job.
Can someone give me an objective viewpoint on this as it has really knocked my confidence & I'm questioning my work.
Thoughts please & don't pull any punches because I'm here to learn how to be a master tiler.
What would you do differently?

IMAG0024.jpg IMAG0025.jpg

Q

Qwerty

To be honest the photos aren't the best but I can see some lippage. Why did it occur?

With the layout was there any reason why the 2 half tiles couldn' have met in the corner so the same tile was lapping around?

O

Old Mod

Agreed,l Geoff, not how I would have set out, and looking at silicone work it seems to rise an fall, is this the area you says it’s lapping?
By that you mean lipping yes?

F

Flintstone

Hard to be clear from the photos? It’s certainly not as bad as the things we see on here almost daily so don’t be too hard on your self!
Is this a case of bad walls and cheap tiles and perfection expected?

D

Dumbo

From what I can see the bottom left hand tile where the half bond perp joint is above it there looks like a serious amount of lipping . But I am judging from a photograph

O

One Day

Don't let it knock your confidence too much! If you are humble enough to learn from any mistakes, and you are committed to getting better each time, then it's all good. The person who never made a mistake, will never make anything.

I would pick out the bond not flowing through the corner. Stepping in the internal corner making the silicone joint wobble.
Silicone joint is too fat for my liking.
Little bit of lippage evident.

I just finished a very similar shower today. I'll try and post pics tomorrow to show the flow through the corners....

J

Jimbobble

Thanks for the feedback lads, lots of food for thought here & practical stuff I can learn from.
Any photos and advice is of course always warmly appreciated. I feel like a DIY / cowboy right now but am of course committed to doing the best work I possibly can.
Many Thanks & have a good weekend.

T

Time's Ran Out

Jim - I notice you are in Newcastle!
How long have you been tiling, what was the substrate, was it just a shower in this room and did you set the tiling out horizontally just for the pipes?

Reply to First complain about my work. TOTALLY GUTTED! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks