Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Finish lifting off slate kitchen floor tiles in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello there,

I've the finish lifting off my slate kitchen floor tiles at this time, and would really appreciate some direction in the product that I would be needing to source / apply to restore them.

I will be as descriptive as I can be, but am by no means an expert so please bear with me. I would best describe the finish that's lifting as a type of "shellac" (so to speak) insofar that it "crackles" off the tile surface when it lifts and appears to be of a brownish tint, it's dissolvable in water, but even more so if alcohol's spilt on the surface. Treated areas where this finish is still in a good condition are of a very light satin sheen, and the finish itself seems to render the underlying tile that it protects several shades darker than it would be in it's natural state.
The underlying tiles are matt and in their natural state on areas where this finish has abraded away and it does not seem to me to be of a type which penetrates the stone in any way to produce the finish. In long and in short I would describe it as a sort of tinted satin varnish painted on the tiles themselves. I've some close-up pictures that i've taken that I don't seem able to upload to this forum, but can make available.

If anyone can help me with this as I don't have the first clue who to resolve this I would be very grateful, so many thanks in advance for any help that you can give me... The image attached shows the problem that I am attempting to resolve. SlateTileFloor_1.jpg

OP
G

Gazzer

Sounds like you need to remove this covering whether it be varnish or a topical sealer. Try this LTP Solvex | LTP Online | Tile Cleaning, Sealing and Maintenance Products

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Finish lifting off slate kitchen floor tiles in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock