Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss finally finished my tiling course in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Just finished my tile course at the elite school of plastering in manchester. The course was ok but could have been better. I left a review in the tile course section if anyone is interested in reading it.

OP
J

jag000

Here are some pictures of a wall and part of a floor i tiled on the course.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 270
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 263
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 251
OP
J

jag000

Will do jag, but the course is only the start of your learning.

yeh i know, to be honest i found it a lot harder than i thought it would be, but i am going to practice on my own kitchen and do some work for a few friends before i look for proper work.

OP
R

Rad2474

Like Faith says now you'll start to learn,just take your time think about what your doing and you'll be ok.

OP
P

Prem Tiler

good luck mate dont worry if you feel your a little out of your depth especially at 1st, I'd like to here from some one who was 100% confident on there 1st job.

My pooper was a flutter to say the least but it gets easier and your confidence grows.

There was a guy on my course who pulled out in week 6 and decided it was not for him purely because he felt he was too slow and would never make a good living at it. He made a big mistake if you ask me. As long as you have a thirst to learn and are persistent you will succeed. I promise.

I will say your training establishment looks a bloody mess and I'm not overly keen on the setting out method around that window I think they should of taught you how to finished quartering a tile on the corners of the recess. but thats just my 2 penny's worth.

OP
F

faithhealer

As Prem Tiler says, re the window, you will never come across a window like that, they should have made it difficult for you. Did they (he) show you how to 'set out' a room? ie work out where every cut is going to be before you lay a tile?

OP
J

jag000

As Prem Tiler says, re the window, you will never come across a window like that, they should have made it difficult for you. Did they (he) show you how to 'set out' a room? ie work out where every cut is going to be before you lay a tile?

the told me to find the centre of a wall (if there isnt a window there) and then plan out to see what your 'best cut' would be at the end of the wall and either place your first tile at the edge of the centre line or place your tile in the middle of the centre line.

OP
J

jag000

good luck mate dont worry if you feel your a little out of your depth especially at 1st, I'd like to here from some one who was 100% confident on there 1st job.

My pooper was a flutter to say the least but it gets easier and your confidence grows.

There was a guy on my course who pulled out in week 6 and decided it was not for him purely because he felt he was too slow and would never make a good living at it. He made a big mistake if you ask me. As long as you have a thirst to learn and are persistent you will succeed. I promise.

I will say your training establishment looks a bloody mess and I'm not overly keen on the setting out method around that window I think they should of taught you how to finished quartering a tile on the corners of the recess. but thats just my 2 penny's worth.

yeh the training they gave me wasn't that great in my opinion, but it taught me how to put tiles on the wall, i will just have to figure the rest out over time.

OP
P

Prem Tiler

the told me to find the centre of a wall (if there isnt a window there) and then plan out to see what your 'best cut' would be at the end of the wall and either place your first tile at the edge of the centre line or place your tile in the middle of the centre line.

Not good if you ask me. How long was the course? They should be showing you what to do not asking you to work it out for your self IMO.

OP
F

faithhealer

What about height wise, compensating for wonky floors and ceilings?

OP
J

jag000

What about height wise, compensating for wonky floors and ceilings?

i measure downwards to get a good cut at the floor and at the point of the cut i nailed some batons into the wall using a spirit level to make sure it was the same all the way along, then i took the baton as the starting point and worked upwards from there. when i reached the top i took the batons off and did the cuts near the floor.

OP
F

Fekin

This is where I did my tile course, and afterwards I thought it was brilliant, but that was only because I only really knew what they had told me about tile on the 4 day course.
Then within a few days I found this forum, and after only an hour reading through random threads that I came to the conclusion that most of what I had been "taught" on the course was near enough plain wrong, though I did enjoy the course as I was doing it.

OP
D

Dale44

From the pic's you have posted the course looks very much the same as the first course I do. Could not believe the difference when I went to N.E.T.T. The difference between a diy and a professinal training course.
If I knew any thing about computers I would post the pic's from my first 5 day course. They didn't even know how to fit trims around a window.:ban:

Reply to finally finished my tiling course in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock