Discuss Filling large holes in plasterboard before tiling - solid wall behind in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Dave Holland

Hi All,

I've not been able to find a conclusive answer to this one after trailing the interweb relentlessly so hopefully some knowledgeable people here can help!

I've removed some old ceramic tiles in the kitchen and predictably the plasterboard underneath has suffered damage. I've been reliably informed the best course of action is the replacement of the plasterboard in full but that's been under the assumption it's a dot and dab wall or similar, however there's a breezeblock wall behind it so is there the potential for using a gap-filling compound? The hole is less than 30mm deep (from plasterboard to breezeblock) but it's about 250mmx300mm in diameter.

I don't need a perfectly smooth finish because I will be tiling over it, but of course it will need to be level and be a good substrate for tile adhesive. Even as a novice tiler I know that preparation is everything so basically, what's best? Do I replace the entire plasterboard, just patch it, or fill it and if so, what's best?

Thanks very much in advance.

Dave

W

White Room

Re: Filling large holes in plasterboard before tiling - solid wall beh

You could cut the hole square and replace with plasterboard or use Thistle bonding, at that depth 2 coats would be required and the drying time as well.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum.

you could cut a piece of plasterboard and fix it in place with board adhesive. Then fill the gaps with the adhesive too.
goes off very quick.

D

Dash J

Can you tile onto expanding foam?

W

White Room

Not something I've ever tried.....and probably would'nt.

K

kimboslash

Been there before a few times, as above i have cut the hole square and then filled with another piece of plasterboard and board adhesive, simple.

D

Dash J

I'm into expanding foam at the minute
Cut out plasterboard then re instate with expanding foam opposed to adhesive

T

Time's Ran Out

I'm into expanding foam at the minute
Cut out plasterboard then re instate with expanding foam opposed to adhesive

Have you seen the price of expanding foam!

D

Dash J

Haha,it's pricey but quicker and cleaner imo

H

Handyeire

Cut piece of plasterboard and drill a hole in it, put bit of string through it and put tgr plasterboard inside the hole after putting some filler on it, pull the string and the plasterboard should stick on inside if hole and cover it. Drill the string in place until filler sets then cut it and fill in the void with more filler. Easy job and should be done in notime.

D

Dash J

Cut piece of plasterboard and drill a hole in it, put bit of string through it and put tgr plasterboard inside the hole after putting some filler on it, pull the string and the plasterboard should stick on inside if hole and cover it. Drill the string in place until filler sets then cut it and fill in the void with more filler. Easy job and should be done in notime.

What???????

T

Time's Ran Out

I saw that on Blue Peter as well!

D

Dougs Third Go

cut out the damaged section of plasterboard and replace with another piece using dri-wall, can't get much simpler than that.

H

Handyeire

What???????

Just reread OP, I just skimmed over it and thought he was looking to cover an inchxinch hole rather than near a sqft lol. My apologizes OP! Lol.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

its a great method. It's even listed in my readers digest DIY manual. Unfortunately it only works on hollow walls e.g. Between studs. This is plasterboard on a breeze block wall.

Reply to Filling large holes in plasterboard before tiling - solid wall behind in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks