Discuss Few questions in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Good evening all, I have stripped my bathroom out and intend to tile floor and ceilings with 600x300 porcelain tiles. There was old tiles around the bath area which I’ve removed and replaced the damaged plasterboard with 12mm Hardie backer. Few questions;

1. Most of the walls I’ve fitted Hardie backer are stud so no problem just screwing them on, one wall is breeze block (or the modern equivalent), as I need it to line up with the current dot and dabbed moisture resistant plasterboard, I can’t use grab adhesive so will I be ok to use dot and dab just to get the correct distance from the wall and then use some large frame fixings through the dried adhesive? (I know the manufacture doesn’t recommend dot and dab mix but can’t think of another solution)

2. The un damaged walls of plasterboard I intend to tile straight on to however, the plasterboard has emulsion on it and possibly a layer of cream vinyl paint. I’ve begun scraping the white emulsion off and it peels off in strips. The vinyl paint underneath seems to be stuck quite well.
I’ve just put some duct tape on various bits as worries about damaging the plasterboard scraping it all off. Am I over thinking this or do I need to get all the old paint off, it’s wasn’t peeling anywhere? I’m planning on using Mapei Keraflex Maxi, will the walls require primer also?
Thanks in advance.

Reply to Few questions in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks