Discuss Feature bathroom wall in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

George Millroy

Hi everyone

I am in the process of tiling a bathroom for a customer who is pretty adamant on having a feature wall within the shower with no grout lines.

These are the tiles in the link below. The manufacturer does suggest tanking the area if there are no grout lines but I'm still no convinced.

Sierra Nevada Ash Decor Wall Tiles 30x60cm - https://www.tonsoftiles.co.uk/sierra-nevada-ash-decor-wall-tiles-30x60cm.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIneXO1tqX3wIVQud3Ch21JwfhEAQYASABEgKFFPD_BwE

I'm more than happy to tank the area just wondering if anyone else has come across this or completed this kind of work in the past?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
George

S

Spare Tool

Personally I'd insist on putting a small groutline in between the pieces, 1 or 2mm, stagger the bond and use a cement grey grout, or water will literally be running down behind the tiles, tanking or not the water will have to find somewhere to go..

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I think that is poor advice from the supplier. They will need a grout joint, 1mm will be hardly noticeable.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
These glazed porcelain rectified wall and floor tiles can be butted together to create a luxurious harmonious space without grout lines. However, if used in a wet room or shower areas it is recommended to either put a 1mm grout line and seal or tanking behind the tiles.

G

George Millroy

The supplier have said to use a 1mm grout line, or tank behind the tiles?

Sounds like it can be done but as andystiletiling says the water has to go somewhere.

Will try and get the customer round to have them staggered with a 1mm grout line

Reply to Feature bathroom wall in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks