Discuss Failed Floor in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

radim

TF
Arms
Reaction score
went to change couple of broken tiles and this is outcome....
AF1QipOR4Hqb5eSNhGDnOuq0QMIalBsBY70-zmBWBQ9X
AF1QipPi-V89r2uoX28cWsXizwYW1eJX_ucmKUjPU-hc
AF1QipN7AvyS9WdmN0YUJasO5ll4ZxrCZ-h5eiJsIEsx
AF1QipOl_BED2N3rydmXX5hM7klGPJAF8LjWWM_jTcTA

first floor, chipboard floor, 9 mm ply, wet UFH between joists, all tiles debonded from addy, addy to ply stuck well, job done 2 years ago. total of 55 m2.
Can you guys share your opinions what went wrong here?
cheers

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Pictures not showing, what are the tiles made of? do you remember how the tiles were stored? possibility they could have been in wet/damp conditions and retained moisture? this may stop them bonding well to the addy?

J

J Sid

The tiles were ok for 2 years, yes ?

Sounds like a possibility of excess heat, seen something similar before after failure of flow temperature control in ufh, water temp went to 80 deg. Thermal shock. Customer started to deny it, a builder, but his sister let it slip one day.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Problem here is you have wet ufh with chipboard and the plywood on top of that. Both products are insulators, so customer wants warm floor. But can't as the timber is basically lagging the ufh. So they turn up the manifod temperature to make the floor feel better and doing so, the floor gets hotter, to a point that the tiles de-bond from the ply.
You could blame th customer, but a timber floor on top of ufh is asking For trouble.

Last edited:
J

Just Rizzle

Problem here is you have wet ufh with chipboard and the plywood on top of that. Both products are insulators, so customer wants warm floor. But can't as the timber is basically lagging the ufh. So they turn up the manifod temperature to make the floor feel better and doing so, the floor gets hotter, to a point that the tiles de-bond from the ply.
You could blame th customer, but a timber gloom on top of ufh is asking God trouble.
totally agree with above to much insulating products bound to fail . bet there heating bill is a small fortune

Reaction score
Can't say I understand these floors either. Probably a more inert material than ply would have been better as a final layer beforr tiling. Could have gone straight down with hardie floor.

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
But he's saying that the addy is still stuck to the floor but tiles have come away clean? So that makes no sense?

Reaction score
As ply shrinks and expans a flexible adhesive may well have stayed stuck to the wood and in good condition however,the forces this transfered to the tile perhaps could have debonded what was a weaker attachment.
Ply expands and can handle it, adhesive goes with it and can handle it also, the tile doesn't expand which creates the stress.
Or, maybe my imagination has gone funny lol:confused:

J

J Sid

You guy's not come across this ufh method before?
I would have uncouple on top of chipboard if floor solid, did a bathroom and a shower room yesterday, not plied, but have seen it done many times. HB would have insulated to much, no? If it was to fail I would have expected sooner the 2 years.
To me clearly a heat issue.

radim

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thank for your replies guys.
All tiles come up clean like new...
Builder is paying the bill but wants to know where is a problem.
I will be using hardie but if it is heat related than it can surely happen again?

Reply to Failed Floor in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks