Discuss External tiling with porcelain - norcros rock-tite? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
We are looking at laying 20mm porcelain tiles outside. I am a bit confused over the different laying methods. Our landscaper is suggesting using hard core, then a scalping base, then 4:1 mix sharp sand and cement mix. Would this be ok?

I was wondering if they need to be on a fully cured screed instead or if anyone has used or recommends using norcros rock tite mortar as an alternative as this seems to be designed to go directly onto hardcore?

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Laying 20mm porcelain tile externally on a well compacted base of hardcore and scalping
on a cement and sharp sand bed is fine provided the tile is primed first before setting.

no knowledge on the norcros product.

Reaction score
Before I start, just to let you know I work for norcros, I'm not on here to actively push our products, just offer the best advice I can.
A solid re-enforced concrete base is my preferred option, but you will have to wait 6 weeks before you can tile, you can use a suitable external tile adhesive to fix your tiles, and remember to tile to falls.
Compacted type 1 is another option, preferably 100 - 150mm in depth, you will then need to use your sand cement mix to lay your tiles and slurry bond the back of the tiles with an SBR cement slurry, the slurry must still be wet when the tile is bedded into the mortar to achieve a good bond and once again tile to a fall.
Our Rock - Tite system is designed for tilers and landscapers, its a 3 part system, a primer for the tiles, fibre re-enforced polymer modified mortar and brush in grout and is designed for use on compacted type 1, much the same as the above.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Before I start, just to let you know I work for norcros, I'm not on here to actively push our products, just offer the best advice I can.
A solid re-enforced concrete base is my preferred option, but you will have to wait 6 weeks before you can tile, you can use a suitable external tile adhesive to fix your tiles, and remember to tile to falls.
Compacted type 1 is another option, preferably 100 - 150mm in depth, you will then need to use your sand cement mix to lay your tiles and slurry bond the back of the tiles with an SBR cement slurry, the slurry must still be wet when the tile is bedded into the mortar to achieve a good bond and once again tile to a fall.
Our Rock - Tite system is designed for tilers and landscapers, its a 3 part system, a primer for the tiles, fibre re-enforced polymer modified mortar and brush in grout and is designed for use on compacted type 1, much the same as the above.
Without stating prices , how does it compare Cost wise to the method of screed and slurry fix. ?

Reaction score
Without stating prices , how does it compare Cost wise to the method of screed and slurry fix. ?

Mixing up your own sand and cement is always going to be the cheaper option, our system is aimed at the tiler who doesn't want to mix his own sand cement hence why our mortar mixes and feels more like an adhesive. When used in conjunction with the primer achieves the same strength as a C2 adhesive. I would say the primer is comparable cost wise, a 15kg unit will cover approximately 21m, you get 3 x 5kg bags that you mix with water.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Mixing up your own sand and cement is always going to be the cheaper option, our system is aimed at the tiler who doesn't want to mix his own sand cement hence why our mortar mixes and feels more like an adhesive. When used in conjunction with the primer achieves the same strength as a C2 adhesive. I would say the primer is comparable cost wise, a 15kg unit will cover approximately 21m, you get 3 x 5kg bags that you mix with water.
so basically to use over a slab and not hardcore ?

Reply to External tiling with porcelain - norcros rock-tite? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks