Discuss External corner mitring in porcelain + grout info in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

NikB

TF
Reaction score
I've been looking at threads on here for a while but thought I'd post for some advice. I'm currently in the middle of a wetroom build. We're most of the way through tiling but have now reached the mitring stage. Some are simple external corners but we have to go around a window and a couple of shower alcoves which will require 'L' or right angled mitres. I know that many people just suggest using trim but I want to avoid this if possible as the mitred appearance looks much better to me.
We have a DeWalt D24000 wet saw and trying some practice cuts with the standard blade has been inconsistent - some cuts are very clean, others chip which appears to be common based on what I've read here.

My main question really is should I persevere with the DeWalt saw at least for the straight cuts or try the variable speed grinder and try hand held cutting? If so how do you reliably achieve a 45* angle without a jig?
I've attached a pic which shows the corner of the window, can get more if it helps.
I've been reading about grout types also - we plan to use black grout on the walls. From what I understand it's best to use epoxy grout for the mitred edges - does that mean I should use that throughout or just for those edges. Are there any recommendations for which one to use? I used Larsen colourfast on my last bathroom which was fine but was going to use Mapei Ultracolour this time - I've read that it can go off too fast to use properly though.

Attachments

• IMG_4365.JPG
    743.2 KB · Views: 39
Reaction score
I've been looking at threads on here for a while but thought I'd post for some advice. I'm currently in the middle of a wetroom build. We're most of the way through tiling but have now reached the mitring stage. Some are simple external corners but we have to go around a window and a couple of shower alcoves which will require 'L' or right angled mitres. I know that many people just suggest using trim but I want to avoid this if possible as the mitred appearance looks much better to me.
We have a DeWalt D24000 wet saw and trying some practice cuts with the standard blade has been inconsistent - some cuts are very clean, others chip which appears to be common based on what I've read here.

My main question really is should I persevere with the DeWalt saw at least for the straight cuts or try the variable speed grinder and try hand held cutting? If so how do you reliably achieve a 45* angle without a jig?
I've attached a pic which shows the corner of the window, can get more if it helps.
I've been reading about grout types also - we plan to use black grout on the walls. From what I understand it's best to use epoxy grout for the mitred edges - does that mean I should use that throughout or just for those edges. Are there any recommendations for which one to use? I used Larsen colourfast on my last bathroom which was fine but was going to use Mapei Ultracolour this time - I've read that it can go off too fast to use properly though.
I’m not a professional, we just had the exact same looking porcelain tiles installed in our wet room and we don’t have a trim on the window and niche, which I strongly prefer. But the look is quite rough, which seems ok given the colour and style of tiles. Grout is charcoal and matched the tiles. My advice would be to ask the customer what time of finish they would prefer and explain the trade offs.
40D92B9F-8CCE-4F00-AB49-8324D2703998.jpeg

Attachments

• D69BB2BA-96A6-465D-8599-A901EBE38B63.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 13

Reply to External corner mitring in porcelain + grout info in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks