Discuss Extension of existing tiled floor - options in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi!
Just looking for some thoughts regarding extending an existing tiled are if possible please? We are in need of new flooring in our hallway and under stairs which has recently been knocked through to make use of the space, and ideally we would like to extend our existing kitchen tiles through into this space for continuity - we currently have laminate in the hall, carpet in lounge, and two different tile types in the kitchen and toilet, so it feels a bit disjointed!
However, whilst we can source the same tiles I'm just concerned about how the existing laid pattern may look extending into the hall, given there is a slither cut of around 2.5cm from the skirting on one side. If the walls aren't perfectly parallel, this would perhaps exacerbate things further. Wondered if a border of sorts might be the way forward? The existing tiles are 435x659mm, but are also available as 316x592.... not sure if a drop in tile size might work in the narrower area or just look weird where it transitions!? Have been scratching my head for a few weeks - any thoughts/tricks/workaround ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Dan
(South Leicestershire, UK)

20200717_223542.jpg 2020_0717_21275300.jpg 2020_0717_21253600.jpg 20200717_223618.jpg

Reaction score
We finally have some available to come out this week to take a look & quote. Any thoughts here still much appreciated :)
[automerge]1595877904[/automerge]
We finally have some available to come out this week to take a look & quote. Any thoughts here still much appreciated :)
*somebody!

Reaction score
[automerge]1595877904[/automerge]

*somebody!
Hi. It’s always a choice between the lesser of two evils type thing. If I am understanding it correctly I would use the same tile and just have the sliver cut. Changing the tile type will change the area giving it a divided feeling. The only reason to divide the area is if your hallway tiles were purposefully intended to be a feature. Victorian tiles, encaustic cement patterned tiles or similar.

Reaction score
Hi. It’s always a choice between the lesser of two evils type thing. If I am understanding it correctly I would use the same tile and just have the sliver cut. Changing the tile type will change the area giving it a divided feeling. The only reason to divide the area is if your hallway tiles were purposefully intended to be a feature. Victorian tiles, encaustic cement patterned tiles or similar.

Thank you, much appreciated. Just obsessing over the sliver cuts running up the length of the hall, but guess there is little option but to accept this or go with something else entirely.

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Reaction score
WHat did you decide to go for?

Reaction score
WHat did you decide to go for?
Couldn't guarantee the sliver cut wouldn't get thinner still working up the hall, and couldn't face shifting the pattern... So, after much deliberation, we've gone full circle and going for a different tile and pattern altogether!

Reply to Extension of existing tiled floor - options in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks