Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Extending current porcelain floor tile without door strip in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Afternoon all, I am purchasing a new build property and the builder has already laid 4500mm x 4500mm porcelain floor tiles through the entrance, hallway and kitchen. As part of the purchase we have agreed they will lay the same tile in 3 additional ground floor rooms but they have stated they will need to use door strips between the current tiles and new tiles. I'm not sure why this is and think it won't be as ascetically pleasing. Would the tiler not be able to lift the the adjoining tiles at the doorways (which have been cut) and continue the tile in to the other rooms - making a seamless floor throughout?

If there is a genuine reason why this is not achievable I understand but it feels like the builder may be taking the easier path to avoid lifting tiles.

Appreciate any thoughts

bsc ceramics

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Dont see any reason why they cant continue it through.
Tiler just needs to take up the existing cut tiles in the doorway and continue
it into the other rooms

Reaction score
Ideally there should be an expansion joint in the doorway. This will allow to movement as the new slab will shrink/move overtime. Also should have used a lateral mat on new slabs

Reply to Extending current porcelain floor tile without door strip in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock