Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Expert advice please. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Mozz

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello. We have moved to a house with tiles on the hall and kitchen floor. Some have cracked. We discovered they have been laid on plywood when house was built. I have ordered tiles to replace broken ones, however I've thought of using silicone instead of grouting as the grouting keeps cracking and looks bad. Will this work ? Thank you.

J

J Sid

hi
grout is cracking because there is movement. Find out why and address it
as above, no

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Only this week I was ridiculed by a group of three builders wearing grey jogging bottoms (you know the type) they tile on 4mm ply or if they really want to push the boat out for an extra special job they use 9mm. I was told I was sucker for falling for marketing tactics from Hardiebacker etc.

OP
M

Mozz

TF
Reaction score
The house is 10 years old and the seller knew the builder. They were told it's ok to tile on plywood flooring as long as Flexi https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ is used. We can feel a little movement when walking on them. I don't really want the huge job or expense of getting them us...was hoping there might be an easier solution ? Can I apply silicone over the grouting to hide the cracks ? Thank you.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Only this week I was ridiculed by a group of three builders wearing grey jogging bottoms (you know the type) they tile on 4mm ply or if they really want to push the boat out for an extra special job they use 9mm. I was told I was sucker for falling for marketing tactics from Hardiebacker etc.

I think one of them must be selling a pair.
BF89A8BD-BACB-448C-865C-2722DB9D0268.jpeg

G

GoneGuy

The grout and tiles will keep on cracking and also the new tiles will probably be a different shade to the old ones so will also stand out

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Silicone is a sealent not a grout...!
Once you start cleaning the floor it will just come off over a period of time..

Reply to Expert advice please. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock