Discuss Expansion strip needed? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Matty

TF
Reaction score
Hi all,

Wondered what the correct procedure is here..

this is a doorway with timber on the left and concrete on the right, plan is to overboard the lot and have ufh over the timber area only then levelling compound the whole area.
i would think I'd need to create a join with the boards and also install an expansion strip when tiled? but do i just put levelling compound straight over the boards here or somehow create a join with that too?
Thanks
DSC_0144.JPG

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Over boarding the screed side Depends on cost.
you could board the timber side with say Hardibacker 6mm and install the ufh. Then level the whole lot in one go. Or use insulation boards on the screed side as they dont need mechanical fixing once adhered with adhesive and then board Timber side as above. Then level. But you will need an expansion joint at the break in substrates.
Genesis/Homelux/schluter etc do ones to suit.

15DCBE77-0122-48EC-9762-5CA29D4E539A.jpeg

Matty

TF
Reaction score
Over boarding the screed side Depends on cost.
you could board the timber side with say Hardibacker 6mm and install the ufh. Then level the whole lot in one go. Or use insulation boards on the screed side as they dont need mechanical fixing once adhered with adhesive and then board Timber side as above. Then level. But you will need an expansion joint at the break in substrates.
Genesis/Homelux/schluter etc do ones to suit.

View attachment 113224
perfect, thank you! That clears it all up👍

Reply to Expansion strip needed? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks