Discuss Expansion joints between rooms in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

Katie279

Hi all,

just a quick one - am planning to tile four rooms on the ground floor with the same tiles and hopefully create a nice flow between the rooms of tiles.

am using flexible adhesive and grout and have planned to leave a 0.6mm expansion gap around the edges of the rooms. I've seen various expansion joint trims for across rooms, should is use one between each room?

just a thought!

Reaction score
boards, marmox, UFH, SLC, 600x600 Porcelain?
Yes. Expansion joints needed in the doorways at least. More info needed re sizes etc for where joints may be needed.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all,

just a quick one - am planning to tile four rooms on the ground floor with the same tiles and hopefully create a nice flow between the rooms of tiles.

am using flexible adhesive and grout and have planned to leave a 0.6mm expansion gap around the edges of the rooms. I've seen various expansion joint trims for across rooms, should is use one between each room?

just a thought!

0.6mm expansion round the edges.... Good luck measuring that ;)

K

Katie279

Cheers guys - heh, yes sorry am a bit anal like that, my day job is an electronic engineer designing euro fighter, missile systems etc, so we often measure in hundredths of a millimetre, so this is totally relaxed by my day standards!

On the upside, I've certainly got the tools to measure to that accuracy quite easily! ;)

K

Katie279

Hi Carl,

thanks for the pitch! ;) like to see companies interacting with their customers communities.

On that basis, I'll make a special point of buying schluter expansion joints, however need them tomorrow - do you know anywhere that sells these in Scotland? Am near Kinross.

otherwise does anyone know any alternatives from the usual places (have got a tile giant in Perth)

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

so we often measure in hundredths of a millimetre, so this is totally relaxed by my day standards!

I work until it's right.:lol::thumbsup:

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
Priced a schluter 20mm expansion joint the other week , nearly choked on me cornflakes ,

£60 odd quid for a 2.5m length.:yikes:

Diggy

K

Katie279

Ouch! Cant seem to find any around me - any other alternatives? It'll be going from tiled room to the next tiled room.

Ps don't worry half mill phil, had a friend called three inch Pete - can assure you he was far more embarrassed... ;)

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Ouch! Cant seem to find any around me - any other alternatives? It'll be going from tiled room to the next tiled room.

Ps don't worry half mill phil, had a friend called three inch Pete - can assure you he was far more embarrassed... ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

D

DHTiling

6mm min for perimeter joints and changes in direction to tiling like L shaped rooms should be movement jointed at the L transition.. other wise areas of over say a max of 40 mtrs should be bayed .. this would be say an example of a room 8 x 5 mtrs squared.. other wise joint at door ways as said above.

Reply to Expansion joints between rooms in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks