Discuss Expansion Joint or Not? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like a bit of advice regarding 2 tiling areas if anybody can help?

First is a hallway 11m x 2m onto 30mm jackoboard with 250mm x 250mm porcelain tiles, at one end joining a kitchen I have a expansion joint and at the other end of the long run there is a gap of 4mm to the front door. all around the edges and into a couple of doorways will have a 8mm gap to the wall as it will be covered by skirting and door strips from tile to wood. Now do I need a expansion joint in the middle of the 11m run or is above appropriate?

Also job 2 is a kitchen with UFH 7.2m x 4m onto 22mm hardiboard with a 1.2m x 0.6m porcelain tile. Now the kitchen has a open area of 4m x 4m and then it runs into a island in the middle of the floor that is 2m long with a strip of tiles about 1.2m down each side and then joining up again for the last 1.2m x 4m. Gaps around the side will be 8mm or so again around doors expansion joints also as skirting and kickboards will cover the gap.
So again will I need a expansion joint in the middle somewhere? or at a set distance from one end? Or will the gaps around edge and under skirting, kickboards be enough?

Long winded read but any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading

Reply to Expansion Joint or Not? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks