Discuss Expansion gap help please in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Filip

TF
Reaction score
I have searched but not found the info I need - perhaps it its just too oblivious a question but what size silicone filled expansion gap should I leave around the perimeter of the area.
Room - Kitchen
Floor concrete
Build New - floor dry
3x3 m ish giving 10m2 plus a 1x1 section
Skirting is staying and will be tiling under the cupboards
Tiles 600x300 porcelain
3 mm tile spacers

Last edited:
B

Bill

Expansion gap where?....

Perimeter? Middle of the floor?

If your floor is only 3m x3m then you really do not need an expansion gap you may need a movement joint though caused by shrinkage from your concrete floor which would be a perimeter joint. Ideally, this would already be on the concrete base next to the wall.

A movement joint after tiling would not need to be any more than 5mm to 10mm wide.

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Sorry yes - I was thinking of perimeter movement joint between the tile and skirting - which is staying.
So are you saying that the tiles themselves will not move at 10m2 but the concrete they are attached to will shrink.
I was thinking of going with a 3 mm silicone space from the tile to the skirting will that be ok do you think as that will match the grout line

Last edited:
Reaction score
I personally would of removed the skirting, if for what ever reason you can't/wont, then I would go round with a multitool cutting skirting to allow the tile to go under.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Perimeter edge joint should be 10mm. Could be siliconed or dry jointed.

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Not my house or call on the skirt remove.
I respect the advice but 10mm all the way around between the tile and skirt sounds big on a 3x3m room - does it need to be that big

Reaction score
Not my house or call on the skirt remove.
I respect the advice but 10mm all the way around between the tile and skirt sounds big on a 3x3m room - does it need to be that big

So your doing to job for someone else, so you will be wanting to do the best job you can..If your going under the units then you will already be cutting the plinths to sit on the new floor height.

Filip

TF
Reaction score
So your doing to job for someone else, so you will be wanting to do the best job you can..If your going under the units then you will already be cutting the plinths to sit on the new floor height.
Job is for my daughter who does not like the sound of removing the skirt, yes I am removing the plinths and cutting them down to replace. I personally would remove the skirt and cut the bottom of the architrave off but if I do not do that what is the smallest perimeter expansion gap I can get away with between the tile and skirt for the neatest finish.

F

Flintstone

Myself and many others on here won’t cut a plynth! I wouldn’t multi tool a rooms worth of skirting either. For me, if it’s not suitable to remove skirting then I leave a small joint usually 3mm and silicone and it looks good.

G

GoneGuy

I did a job last year on a new build and the customers got the house builders to get the on site carpenter to come back and fit the skirting on top of the tiles I laid.

Filip

TF
Reaction score
I don't mind cutting the plinth as I have the right gear to cut off what I need.
So a 3mm silicone join to the skirt will be ok then. I have found a good silicone match to the grey tile colour and will be using a darker grout.

D

Dumbo

I don't mind cutting the plinth as I have the right gear to cut off what I need.
So a 3mm silicone join to the skirt will be ok then. I have found a good silicone match to the grey tile colour and will be using a darker grout.
I would colour match the grout . Looks better I think imho

D

Dumbo

Personally I think so . Can't remember british what standards say about perimeter joints but on movement joints on a large area they say something to effect of every 40 sqm metres you need a 6mm movement joint with the longest run being 8 linear metres between joints . With two 3mm joints each side of the room you have equivalent to 6 mm over a 3 metre run . Therefore I see no issues .

Reply to Expansion gap help please in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks