Discuss ethics and customer relations in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

tiler tom

Idid a job for a customer last week and have just had a callback.

The work consisted of a part tiled bathroom in 200 x 250 ceramic and a tiled floor in 330 x 330 ceramic.

All the tiles were purchased from b&Q.

The wall tiles were 5mm thick and of a really poor quality. All small cuts had to be done on the wet cutter as the corner broke everytime using the nibblers so you can imagine it was time consuming. The floor tiles although harder chipped very easily on the cutter so you had to give greater care when cutting to get a good cut edge.

I had to tile over a window cill which was approx half a tile above the bath. The existing window cill was to be tiled over which was approx 25mm thick and seemed secure.

The callback is because the tiles on the cill have broken and need replacing. The reason for this is unknown.

Now for the questions.

What possible causes could there be for the tiles to crack as there is no weight applied to them and what can be done to ensure the replacements do not do the same.

I consider that I undercharged the customer in the first place due to the extra time taken because ot the poor quality of tiles now I have to return after purchasing more grout to replace. Do I just shoulder the extra cost even if I undercharged in the first place.

Opinions would be appreciated on both questions.

R

robbo

It would be nice to find out why the tiles broke in the first place and then you could possbly determine who shoulders the cost....
If it was wood the window sill can swell up and crack tiles that way....

T

tiler tom

Thanks guys for the replies, The cill was wooden and varnished apart from the leading edge which had been cut back flush with wall surface in order to tile over it. It was 25-30mm thick.

D

DHTiling

expansion in the cill.....deffo ...either moisture or thermal....it is better to remove a wood cill and replace with plaster board...or you could over board , but removing is better......

G

Gazzer

I am afraid that you are the tiler so the responsibilty is with you to shoulder all costs. Had it been a case of broken tiles due to dropping something heavy then you couldnt be at fault.
What adhesive did you use on the cill ?

F

Fekin

I sort of had this a couple of weeks ago, but these were on a plasterboarded walls.
I tiled the full wall top to bottom, and about 30 mins later I noticed 2 tiles had split across the whole length and came away from the wall in 2 pieces.

Best B&Q's finest I have ever used :thumbsup:

B

bearwithme

depends on the customer to a degree i think tom. so long as their not bein arsey about it i'd shoulder the cost and do the repair. put it down to experience and customer relations. if it's down to the cill, they could say " oh, if you'd said we'd have asked you to replace it " or some such blag in order to get you to accept liability. on the other hand if you go in take a look and it is the cill, you could say "it's rare but occasionally this happens, i wanted to try and keep the costs down for you though, no probs i'll fix". if its the cill inevitably it'll come back to you, with the second option they may just think " fair play, tried to keep costs down and he's put it right for us anyway, good bloke" smooth the water and might get more work or recommendations from them in the future. other route, waste time arguing, almost certainly have to put right anyway. just an opinion mate. :thumbsup:

NickH

TF
Reaction score
I reckon you will have to swallow it mate, put it down to experience and next time you'll tell them to replace the cill, good lesson learnt and as mistakes go its not a very excpensive one to put right. Agree with Bearwithme, if you handle it right with a smile and "nothings too much trouble" attitude you will come up smelling of roses and could well get recommendations from them and ultimateley thats what you really need.

G

GRAYLIN

I agree with NickH. Even if the fault is theirs, depending on costs, it best to burden any small costs.
Anybody can tile to a degree, but business is more difficult and customer services is your BIGGEST advert. It is difficult to spread your good name but s**t spreads like wild fire.
Just imagine the cost is the price of the lesson.
Business is a learning curve, stupidity is making the mistake twice.
good Luck:mad2:

T

Telmay

Its always a pain, but I would repair it as others have said silly things like this can ruin a reputation.

A

aejrd

av got the best one ..a while back i did a natural slate kitchen floor for a couple of teachers,2 weeks later on mothers day i got a call from them cud i *** back coz there is a problem? wots the matter says i? then she tells me her cooker isnt working!! eh ? wen did that happen says i? oh yesterday she sez,but i did the job 2weeks ago pet!! yeah but wen we took the plinths off 2 look at the cooker we noticed that u had unscrewed the feet and put the tile down then screwed the feet back down instead of cutting the tile so can u come back and change them so the feet r back on the floor!!!! anyway after i stopped laughing i agreed to do it 4 them the following day, just 2 keep them happy (they want their bathroom dun) but guess wot ...the oven was still f***** !!! the scary part is these people are teaching our children!!

G

GazTech

I was the one asking the stupid questions on my course. So here is my stupid question......Consensus says remove the wooden cill, but what about keeping it, and using a flexible adhesive?
You could only use a two part flexi adhesive directly onto wood, very expensive cill. Rip it off and plasterboard or backerboard it, guaranteed no problems....Gaz :yes:

H

Holohana

av got the best one ..a while back i did a natural slate kitchen floor for a couple of teachers,2 weeks later on mothers day i got a call from them cud i *** back coz there is a problem? wots the matter says i? then she tells me her cooker isnt working!! eh ? wen did that happen says i? oh yesterday she sez,but i did the job 2weeks ago pet!! yeah but wen we took the plinths off 2 look at the cooker we noticed that u had unscrewed the feet and put the tile down then screwed the feet back down instead of cutting the tile so can u come back and change them so the feet r back on the floor!!!! anyway after i stopped laughing i agreed to do it 4 them the following day, just 2 keep them happy (they want their bathroom dun) but guess wot ...the oven was still f***** !!! the scary part is these people are teaching our children!!
Eh, what difference does it make on floor or tile?

Reply to ethics and customer relations in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks